signal lights / brake lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I took the covers off the steering column and the connector was loose. Both the top and bottom locking tabs were broken off. The connector is on top of the steering column and the wires had been taped down real tight. Every time you tilted the steering wheel, you could see the tug on the connector which caused the loose connection. My ST is a 2003 and the part number on the connector is E6DB-14489-DA. Does anyone know the cost of such a connector? Will the wires just pull out of the old connector and slide in the new connector. Do I need any special tools??

Dewayne,

The connector is not the issue, IT is the length of the wires, Replacing the connector will not fix the problem...

You need to cut and extend the wire, OR simply put a jumper wire in and bypass the connector..

Todd Z

Does new lugs come with the connector? One of the lugs is also pulled out of the connector. I still need a connector because both locking tabs are broke off. I think I will add some length to the wire and install a new connector.

Lugs ??? you mean the terminal connector, the crimped on wire end ???

I don't know how the connector comes, or if you can even get both sides of it, or just 1 side. But it seems easier to me to just jump out the 1 wire..

Todd Z

are you familiar with those blue crimp on connectors ??? Not splice connectors, but the ones that are like a clamp ????

Just take a new wire and using 2 of those connectors just crimp one on one side of the connector and then 1 on the other.......

Todd Z

I know what you are saying about adding length to the wires but I see now way to bypass the connector. The other side of the connector is made onto the hazard light switch.

ok, then you can get a replacement terminal, make the wire longer and replace the terminal..

May not need the whole connector ...

That should work...

I personally have not see the colum issue so I am taking my best guess..

Todd Z

OK, thanks! I still can't believe there is no recall on this. It appears to be a wide spread problem.

Welcome,

The truck will probably have to catch fire in your garage because of it , burn the house down, before Ford does any thing about it...

OR no one has filed complaints to the right people...

OR most were fixed under warranty and ford just kept it quiet..

Todd Z