Silicone On Paint

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Adams

Reaction score
Someway, somehow, there appears to be some clear silicone on the fenders of my wife's 05 Sport Trac. What is a good thing to remove it without hurting the paint? I just don't want to use something that is going to hurt the paint. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

If it really is silicone, you should just be able to rub it off with your finger,it will make your finger raw,but should come off.

It is silicone for sure. But it is like a big glob of it and it isn't really rubbing off with my finger. Is there any kind of cleaner that will remove it?

Dan, you might try a hard plastic spatula,but go real easy! and like teddy said some kind of polishing compound after you get the bulk of it off. Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Fast Eddie, I am pretty sure it is a type of silicone adhesive since it won't just rub off.

I've had good luck using "Goof Off" to remove tree sap, tar, and adhesive residue. I always wipe affected surface clean and so far I notice no ill-effect on glass and paint.

Maybe GOO-GONE. It is for removing sticky labels. I have used it on painted surfaces. I dont know about clearcote paint though..

Good luck. Something about what's in silicone make it really hard to get rid of. On my Mustang, someone had used some silicone caulk to stop a rear window leak, and got a dab on the paint. It was wiped off, but still left a film on the paint. When I had it repainted (different color with hard as a rock imron paint), the place with silicone stain bled through the new paint. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Latest posts