Silly question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exahiyan

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I have a 2007 LTD and have a question about the windshield heater button that's between the heated seat buttons. I see that the front windshield has a button for defrosting it on the climate control area but what is the windshield heater button between the seat heaters do? Does it clear the rear windshield? I don't see any wires in the glass so what does it do? The owner's manual is of no help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_114005689_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220222_114005689_HDR.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220222_113919571.jpg
    IMG_20220222_113919571.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 49
That would be for the mirror defrosters. Your side mirrors would most likely have small symbols near the top on them indicating this option. Not sure if there is a back window defroster.

And lucky you..my 2009 Adrenalin does not have this option and this vehicle was built for Canada use. It has all the other options though.

07 did actually have a heated windshield option...… look in the sun on an angle from the outside, if the glass has a copper looking haze it has the wires in it for heat. if not then it could be the heated mirrors. Posting a pic would help too....

Here are the photos of the button on the dash And of the driver's mirror. Nothing indicates that it's for the mirrors.

Your correct. It’s a heated windshield. Not heated mirrors.

Wow..I learned something today, thanks.
But when I look up OEM heated mirrors on the web, their pics show the heated mirror symbols on them. Would this same button turn the mirror heaters on? Pic that Exahiyan posted does not appear that way.

Did Ford offer only heated back window and not mirrors?
Or maybe mirrors were replaced?

Your correct. It’s a heated windshield. Not heated mirrors.
So, there's the usual fan driven windshield heater AND an electrically heated one? Seems silly to have two unless the electric one is for the rear glass.

07 did actually have a heated windshield option...… look in the sun on an angle from the outside, if the glass has a copper looking haze it has the wires in it for heat. if not then it could be the heated mirrors. Posting a pic would help too....
I finally found confirmation that the front windshield is what the electric heater works on. Motor Trend review had this to say;. The Ford's optional heated windshield with microwires embedded in the glass is a nice trickle-down feature from Land Rover, though.

So, there's the usual fan driven windshield heater AND an electrically heated one? Seems silly to have two unless the electric one is for the rear glass.
Yes.....

I finally found confirmation that the front windshield is what the electric heater works on. Motor Trend review had this to say;. The Ford's optional heated windshield with microwires embedded in the glass is a nice trickle-down feature from Land Rover, though.
Basically what i said.

I think that I finally have the answer to my silly question. I stopped by my local Ford dealership and asked the service manager about the heated windshield question and indeed FOMOCO installed the electrically heated front windshield as well as the fan driven "defogger" on the 2007 Sport Trac LTD. He took a flash light in the darkened garage and shined it at an angle across the front glass and you could make out the microwires imbedded in the glass. Honestly I would have much rather had heated outside mirrors or rear window. Oh, well.....mystery solved. Thanks everybody!

Latest posts