Single CD Cassette adding factory sub

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=769860&REPLYCOUNT=5&sitename=mysporttrac&LAST=11/1/2005_4:23:20_PM

in the above posting is the back of my factory radio. I was told that if there were a connector behind the passenger side kick panel then I could hook up a factory sub. If this is not the case what does the connector behind the kick panel go to.

Ford has ben so random with their radios over the years so it would be hard to say for certian. On the radios in the late 90's, for the factory sub, you would need pins in the (looking at back) top left plug, the smallest. BUT!!! i was talking to a radio repairman and he said that just because those pins are there, doesn't mean they are actually hooked up on the inside...

Besides that, the plug behind the kick panel would go from the back of the radio to the kickpanel, then you would need the other cable to run from the kick panel to the amp/sub in the storage area.

If there is no connector behind the kick panel, then i guess your SOL (without buying a new HU and additional cable).

Creef412

On your posting your radio does not have the male plugs that go to the AMP. Your ST may have the 8 pin connector in your wiring harness, and if the plug is behind the passanger kick panel, I would be sure it it does. As Creef412 mentioned there is another cable that runs from this plug to the factory

amp. It has 5 wires one to trigger the amp, one for 12 volt power, one for shielld, and one for sub woofer + and the other -. My radio has the male plug, but no cabling in the ST.

I have all of the wiring that goes from the kick panel to the factory sub, but what I guess is that the radio does not support the factory sub/ amp. There is a plug that fits into the top left on the back of my radio. There is no pins in the space in the top right, so I am guessing that is what I am lacking. I have read in other discusions that the only HU that will work with the factory sub is the 6 disc one. I just don't understand why one would work but the other wouldn't.

I do not know why you ST has all the wiring. If you bought the ST used maybe the prior owner removed radio from truck. Perhaps dealer made change? For what ever reason the radio that you currently have will not support the factory sub.

The radios that are made to work with a sub are specially made to route low tones and bass to the subwoffer and not the other speakers. This helps with sound quality and factory speaker longevity.(less damaging low tones reach midrange speakers)

Creef412