Skidplate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Ordered a fuel tank skidplate from the Ford dealer, $171.00. Got wholesale, +/-, since I'm a company and they know me. Go today to get it put on, it's winter here. Plate no fit, it's an Explorer Sport plate and not an Explorer Sport Trac plate. Correct plate and parts will be around $300.00, or almost what the wheels I want cost. :blink: This Sport Trac FX4 buildup is getting expensive....grrrr......

For that price, a metal shop could bend you some diamond plate and you spray paint and install...

Todd Z

Thought of that already but I don't have a clue where to go. All the small shops (I knew of) that used to do that sort of thing are closed up. The perils of living in a blue state, ya know?

I ordered skid plates with my ST and never got them! The dealer knew I had moved away and couldn't give a crap no matter how much I complained!

There's a guy on ebay that does metalwork really cheap. For example he'll cut and bend any size piece of steel you want for low bucks! Why don't you check him out. His ebay handle is anthony8045 and he also has an ebay store ACS Steel Company. I never used him but thought it was pretty clever to market his services on ebay. Let us know if it works out!

That seems like a lot, especially since I paid $140 for mine! I did a project on installing one... It's got the correct part # listed on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the part number I ordered, unless they put it in the computer wrong. The plate they got looked similar but was definitely too short.