Skreaching and ticking noise in engine....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerica Marshall

Reaction score
Ok so i got home today after school and i stop and i here this loud skreaching noise and then it going to a loud ticking and bumping noise i can hear it in the truck...i get out and pop the hood and then a few minutes go by and it stopps...but when i am driivng it feels like its taking longer than normal to shift gears...does anyone kow what this could be????????

Belt, tensioner stuck, transmission, could be any thing, could have been a squirrel stuck in the belt.....

Todd Z

If you hear the screaching, poping or ticking noise after you shut of the engine, it is common. It's primarily caused by the hot exhaust system cooling down. It sometimes makes a metal-to-metal screaching sound, but nearly always makes poping and ticking sounds.

Don't worry, it's harmless

...Rich

My boyfriend looked at it tonight and so did my step dad they said it was either the belt or the compressor....dang...i wish this would have happened before my 36,000 mile warranty was up...thats a whole lot of money...but it always happens afterwards...thank you all for helping me out....

I had a loud skreaking in mine that came and went too. I replaced the belt and Idler pulley and so far no noise at all. It was under $50 for all of it. But as Todd mentioned it could be anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts