slightly slanted front tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raffy hizon

Reaction score
Ive noticed that my front tires still look slightly like this / \ after new shocks, new ball joints, new upper A arms, new camber bolts and an alignment . I have no pulling problems whatsoever. The guy doin the alignment said its all within specs.... the same thing i heard 3-4 years ago when i had them check why my tires were wearing out faster in the inside...

Am thinking of going to another Alignment shop other than the dealer...

Any suggestions on what to do? or do the STs front tires really look / \ ..:huh:

Btw, did a TT/SL somewhere down the line...

thanks

Did the dealer actually put the camber bolts in ? Or did they checkit and say within spec ? I would find out and tell the dealer you want it on spec., not within spec....I dont know if the trac should have any negative camber, but if it does you should not be able to eyeball see it...JMO...

rptrac,

It's likely that your wheels are supposed to have a slight / \ stance however if you can actually see this with your naked eye, it's way too much.

When the shop said it was in spec, did they actually recheck the alignment, or did they just go by what the Tech said who did the alignment. Modern alignment machines will give a complete printout of the caster, camber, toe in, and thrust angles and also print out what is in spec or out of spec.

It's possible that they put the wrong vehicle ID in the machine and it reads in spec, but not for the Sport Trac?

If they are not giving you a printout from their alignment machine, you need to go somewhere else, because either they have old equipment, or incompetent people.

That negative camber sounds like the Torsion bar adjusters were modified to lower the vehicle or they are getting weak and your front end is sagging. The Camber adjusters are necessary to correct that condition, but it appears that they either did not install them or did not adjust them correctly.

Ford has Specs for the Sport Trac's alignment, and also has "Preferred" specs. It appears that the Sport Trac really needs to be set to the Preferred specs, which are much closer tollerances and some shops don't want to go to that much extra trouble.

Go somewhere else and have them check your alignment and give you the printout if your alignment is not in spec.

I had Western Auto align my Honda Accord once and it started pulling. They checked it and swore it was within manufacturer specs. I took it to the Honda dealer and they aligned it perfectly, and they even called Western Auto and told them what they had done wrong. Western Auto gave me a full refund of what they charged for their improper alignment.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a print out of what the Ford Preffered specs for alignment are? Also if you have aftermarket rims and tires does this alter what the alignment specs should be? I would like to take a hard copy of these preferred alignment specs with me to the shop and just tell them this is what I need. I am getting ready for new shocks as well. Does replacing the shocks effect alignment in any way?

Thanks

...went to another shop today... their machine read that my cambers were off but the mechanic suggested that i replace the steering rack ends first before he re - aligns everything. at least he was patient enough to show me that there was really some ''play''.

ill let you guys know what comes out of this...

btw, my trac came with adjustable camber bolts already... will they be enough after a TT?