slipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Monroe

Reaction score
My tranny seems to slip a little when I shift from reverse to drive. I just did a fliud and filter change that would help it but alas it did not. I have an 02 4x4 with 60,000 miles. It does not do it all the time, but enough to concern me. Any suggestions?:blink:

My '03 Adrenalin used to do that when it was cold-- especially in the winter. About once or twice a month, when I was backing out of my driveway onto my fairly busy street, I'd put it in Drive and ...nothing. I could shift in and out of drive and nothing. Give it a little gas, and it would finally go in gear with a very violent "bang". Then everything was fine for a few weeks.

I took it into the dealer a few times, even left it overnight when it was cold. Dealer never could find anything wrong with it.

This, plus a good trade-in deal was part of the reason I traded for my '07.

Randy,

Get it into a reputable tranny shop ASAP. A delay going into gears is the first sign on a failing tranny.

Getting it in there now could save you $1,500.00 in repair costs.

Tom

what would the symptoms of when putting the truck in park on a level/very slight incline parking lot, and the truck rolling a bit, like enough to make you think its gonna roll into the vehicle parked behind you??

Jim,

That is the "slop" in the park locking pin...

EVERY st I know does it, just one of those things we call the ford park-n-roll....

Randy,

Mine used to do that, Once I did the EPC adjustment and got the Xcal2, it went away, But I went through the tranny before I decided to go that route.......

Todd Z

60k on a Ford tranny...that seems to be about as good as one can hope for.

Of course, my wife's '04 did the same thing at 9k miles, was "fixed", then again at 16k; repeat every 8 or 10k. Ford trannies...should simply call it "The Crying Game".

TJR

EVERY st I know does it, just one of those things we call the ford park-n-roll....

Mine didn't - neither one. I found this thingy on the left side that kinda resembles a gas pedal. Turns out it's some sort of braking mechanism thingamabob designed just for that purpose. Now if only we could get them Ford engineers to design a tranny instead of leaving it to Frenchie. ;)

88,000 miles on mine and still running great.

I tow too much weight, I drive it too fast, and I overload the bed way too often.

I guess you need to use it to make it last. I do not know what else it could be.

Tom

Well, I made it about 140K before mine started having issues. I'm now having the 2-3 flare, and the occasional 3-4 flare, as well as downshifting (to passing gear) problems. It drops to 3rd instead of 4th.

2 questions-

Does anyone know where the tranny computer is?

And is there another more reliable transmission that will fit in the ST like, say, an A4OD?

Last edited by a moderator:
Advance Adapters released an adapter awhile back to install a 700r4 from a 60 deg. V-6 behind a 4.0. I was going to use it to replace the 5 speed manual in my old 93 Explorer, but never got around to it. I'm not sure how many electrical issues you'd run into with ours though...

Latest posts