Slow transmission engagement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help!

I've had a Ranger (2001) with the same ( I think) 5R55E in the 2002 Sport Trac. When I test drove the truck last winter it shifted immediatly when taken out of park and in between Rev and Drive.

My Ranger always had a delay and would not manually downshift to first. So I was VERY happy to have such a good working transmission in the Sport Trac. It would also engine brake in 1st if manually shifted.

So, go out Sat night with the wife, we take her car. I've not driven it in a couple weeks.

Back out of the driveway, put it in Drive and hit the gas... alas, we take off like a bat outta you know where because the tranny didn't shift into D immediatly like it used to and the engine revved up before shifting from R to D.

WHAT!?!

So, here is my deal... Now her Sport Trac has delayed shifting from any forward or reverse gear to the other. She says sometimes it shutters...but it's hard for her to explain it..so it may not be related.

Is this the valve body issue?

I will NOT put a new tranny in this truck with 72K. I will sell it...This is nuts.

Thanks for the help in advance.:blink:

It could be many things...

When was it serviced ??? Flushed ??? Filter ??? Fluid ??

Most of the time it is a solenoid pack that needs to be changed, But if it has not been serviced, IT is well overdue...

Todd Z

No idea, bought it used with 68K, we've only put about 4K on it in a year.

Hate to spend $150 on a flush when I have to drop the pan to fix it and then spend the money on the fluid again.

My '03 Adrenalin used to do that, and it got worse as the temperature lowered. I'd back out of the garage into my busy street, put it in D and try to go, and nothing but a rev'ving engine until it finally "catches" and slams hard into gear with a very loud "bang".

I took it to the dealer several times, including leaving it overnight. All they could say is that it was operating as designed. Anyway, that really helped me make up my mind to trade for my '07.

Good luck. I thought it was a terrible safety issue, as I live on a very busy street with limited visibility in both directions. I felt like a sitting duck when my truck would not go.

BTW: I did have mine flushed and filter changed by the dealer at ~35,000 miles. The problem started happening at around 50,000 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has got to be an issue. The dealers are idiots.. The know nothing about what they sell. They want to just replace things, professional parts hangers.

I will figure it out, and get back to yall when I do.

I know in 04 they came out with a "FIX" recall to help the slow reverse and drive engagement....

I know after replacing my EPC and upping the trans pressure my slow engaugement went away...

My 04 got a new tranny and the issue is not there...

I also DO run Xcal flashers in both trucks..

Todd Z

Why no new transmission? 72k is hardly all that used. I have 200k on mine and would probably put a new transmission in it if it came to that.

Justin, it is just the nature of the beast when it comes to our STs, along with some Rangers, and Explorers that have these transmissions. Some people may never have an issue, and go for 150,000 plus miles, no matter what year their ST is, while others have troubles with only a few thousand miles. Also you did by a used ST, so you have no knowledge on how the other person drove it (unless you where in the truck with them during those miles), they may have been abusive, and caused this issue to bear its ugly head more prematurely than it should have been. These transmissions need to be babied more than most other transmissions out there.

I forgot I have a set of factory shop manuals for the truck... My issue is described below with the corrections.

"Delayed/Soft Forward and Reverse"

The five causes are as follows.

Fluid - Incorrect level or contaminated.

Incorrect Pressures - Line pressure low

Filter and Seal Assembly - Filter Damaged, plugged, seal damaged, cut or missing.

Main Control Assembly - Gasket or seperator plate damaged, epc boost valve damaged, stuck or missing.

Pump Assembly - Leaks, seals worn.

So... it sounds to me like having the tranny filter changed and flushed will knock 3 of the five issues out.

Now, where's the best and cheapest place to have this done. My local dealer wants $175 for the flush and another 75 for the filter change. Sounds high to me!

I recently paid $225 for a flush and filter on my wifes minivan, at the Chevy dealer.. so $250 doesn't sound unreasonable.

My sister put 180K miles on her '99 EX XLT. Same trans, job 1 4.0L. They never flushed it or changed the fluid. Still working excellent, until it got T-boned.