Snow Performance?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C B

Reaction score
How's the snow performance of the 4X4 sport tracs? Does anyone add extra weight? I had a Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 4X4 and I still carried 2-80 lb bags of tube sand in the New Engaland winters.

I have a '03 4x4, Michelin M/S tires and it does very well in the snow. I have not had to add extra weight, but I suppose it might help. Been in the UP of Michigan with it in fairly deep(8-12") powdery snow and it went through it with no problem.

My old 2001 4x4 auto ST did great in the 2 alaskan winters i had it. the last year i had it we got a snow strom of 3 1/2" feet overnight. i went out the next day and not a problem..plowed right thru the snow coming over the hood deep. and that was with the crappy firestone tires. i never had any weight in the back either.

e3b6e385fada0857ccb0b46f878bee2a.jpg

Thanks for the reports. I thought if I needed to add weight I might use the new storage area in the box but it sounds like I won't have to. My delivery date is August 21, can't wait. 2007 XLT 4X4 6 cyl Dark Stone with appearance package and rear power window.

Since pick up trucks are lighter in the back, I add about 200lbs. Unfortunately we don't get much snow here, but 2 years ago we had 25 inches in less than 24 hours. Ever since I bought my 2001 ST in July 2000, I don't clean the snow off in the winter. So imagine my surprise when the door goes up and I see all that snow. I put it in 4 wheel drive and went on, no problem.

Living in Maine and two winters with my ST 4x4, I don't add any weight. I have BF Goodrich tires and the ST is great in the snow. A lot better then my 2000 Ranger.[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the st's with the cab centerd and the short bed helps give it a better weight distrubituion than regular pickups. I was in vermont this last xmas with a 2wd and good M/S tires and no problems.

By percentages, trucks are lighter in the back, thus, people put weight in them.

However, in our case we have a full cab and considerably more weight tranfered over to the rear axle than a Ranger for example.

Live in Canada, have snow for about half the year. The Sporty is good in snow in 4X4 without weight but for general winter driving in 2X4 a bit of weight helps. I have actually bent the side step brackets plowing through deep snow drifts! If you add weight you have to make sure it is held in place. If it shifts, it can work against you and increase your slide and cause you to loose control. Also make sure the weight is not behind the rear wheels, if it is it can actually catapult you in a slide and cause the rear end to swing out (not a fun time!).

My 4x2 is great in the snow with no weight...Tracs are very well centered over all four wheels compared to a standard pickup. I needed weight in my Ranger, but not in the Trac.

I put 3 bags of tube sand in my 4x2 last winter in NH and I was just fine. This year I'll get some studded snow tires, my biggest problem wasn't snow but ice.

Latest posts