SOA Completed!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon mena

Reaction score
Wow I'm tired. Last Sunday I did the Spindle lift, today I did the Spring Over Axle Conversion. So now my truck is looking nice. :cool: I just need to do the body lift now and 37"s. Man doing this by myself whenever I have time is the pits. I don't have too much free time so I really have to hustle and I still lose the whole Sunday, blah. The body lift is going to be alot of fun. I don't think I can do that in a day by myself. Anyhow only problem is I have to go get the perches welded and it's Sunday so nothing's open, I'm going to have to rush tomorrow morning. That and the driveshaft sits about 2" out from the back of the tranny. I don't know how safe that is and I may have to scoot the rear end forward but then the wheels will be closer to the front of the rear wheel well and I don't want that either. Any of you guys had this problem? Also since I haven't driven it really yet, not until it's welded, how does it drive without the sway bar? I mounted the shocks in those mounts though and it seems to work quite nice. What did you guys do?

Brandon, Have the welder Set the pinion angle a little more friendly for you so you don't blow out cardan joints.

Second, The drive shaft will have to be replaced with a longer one... IF you ever extend the rear suspension you will pull the drive shaft right out of the tranny.....

Glad my Idea helped you out...

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. Yeah and looking at the explorer4x4.com examples (they have a ton of soa's there) I felt really comfortable with it. Has anyone here gotten a longer driveshaft? Oh and with the angle I just kinda eued it and made the housing even with the driveshaft for now. I know it's not perfect but close, that's how it's supposed to be right, totally straight together?

Last edited by a moderator:
The job looks like it went smooth and looks good!

The drive shaft shop here made me a complete new drive shaft for under $200 bucks for my mustang...You just give them your old one for the slip yolk and the measurement from the plate on the rear to the tranny tail housing....

As far as the angle goes, the rear should sit pointing up toward the tranny a little now, not flat as it was, UNLESS the drive shaft shop can use CV joints on the axle or they say the angle you have now is not too severe...

Todd Z

Oh OK, I'll see if I can find a real driveshaft shop out here. I don't think it's too severe right now and it is doing exactly what your saying. I know of a 4x4 place not too far. I'll see if it can make it on the highway tomorrow so I can get there and have it welded, set, and maybe the driveshaft done (if they do driveshafts).

Looks great man, but you need some new rubber, wider rims or spacers or something. It looks really narrow back there.

Awesome job, a ton of work, but I bet it'll look incredible in the end. Better get those new wheels and tires quick so your ST just doesn't tip over once you get into it. :D

Latest posts