some dirt bike advice???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan betts

Reaction score
so in my never ending quest to add another toy to my collection, a neighbor of mine has a honda crf 450 dirt bike for sale. i am unsure if its the motocross or trail version. i believe its an 05 thats been ridin 6-7 times. im pretty clueless when it comes to dirt bikes. i know honda is a good brand. does anyone have expierence with the 450's... is there alot of maintenence that needs to be done?also he is asking 2500 for the bike, is this a good price for it? thanks in advance!

BUY THE BIKE! I can't believe the price is that low! Buy buy buy! Change the oil and filters every now and then and your golden! I ride for a hobby and it's good to hear your getting into it! It's addicting! :cool:

If it has a light cross country model CRF450x no light MotoX CRF450r . High maintenance bikes. Use good oil......I mean good,and change it often. . They are a short life bike, look at the service intervals. Keep an eye on valve clearances .Some had a tendency to pull valves(through the head).

$2500 is a good price. my cousin has one for sale ridden a lot more than that for $3500. Plus, its a great bike, low maintenence and a real long lasting off road bike. I have had experince with hondas for years. had a 89 xr 100 and a 90, an 02 xr 200 and an 05 crf250x. I have ridden my cousins 450. Big bike but not too big for any experienced rider. I have never had the experience of brianC, maybe he knows something I don't but mine have been pretty low maintenance.

Sounds like a great deal.

Just be careful, thats alot of bike for the weekend warrior, you don't say how much experience you have but that bike puts out around 50HP. Hold on when you crack the throttle.

Sounds like one heck of a deal. I have a 450 quad and same basic motor. I would not cal it high maintenance, but frequent oil changes are key. Heck you could flip that and make money of the deal for that price.

thats a serious bike man. i would buy as well but i ride my buddy's cfr450 and i can barely get it out of 3rd. llllooooottttsss of power there. sweet bike though

I am with Joe on this one, I also have a Honda 450R quad, with the exception of the cam profile they are the same engine. These motors are pretty much bullet proof. Change the oil about every 10 hours and keep the filter clean (#1 cause of valve issues) and you shouldn''t have any problems. $2500 for that bike is a steal as long as everything checks out and it has a clean title, around here they go for at least another 1k more in ok condition and clean ones goo for more than that.

The ATV and Dirt bike engines are different

ATV runs a full skirt piston ,3 rings

Dirt bike (both r&x) use a short skirt piston ,2 rings.

yeah it seems like a good deal to me. i dont have too much expierence on dirt. but, i have been riding sport bikes for 5 years now. i'm gonna check into with the owner, i talked to his wife about it so she didnt know too much about it,. still unsure if a want to go with a dirtbike or an atv. thanks for the input though!

Latest posts