Spark Plug gapping tool?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I couldn't find a feeler gage with a big enough gap (.054 right?), so I buy this disc shaped thing that only allows you to enlarge the gap. Now on 2 plugs I need the gap closed down. What tool to buy, and where to get it? I've been to Pep Boys, Kragen & Autozone, and have not been able to find tools like they used to make when I used to do it myself. Thanks :D

Yup, No tool needed... Just tap the tool on the ground electrode, close it a little and then regap..

Todd Z

I use a wire sparkplug gap gage. If you look at a magnified view of the side electrode you will see that in most cases it has a concave shape. If you use the flat gages you will actually be gaping the plug a little too wide. The wire style gage works well with both concave and concave electrods and is more accurate on the concave since the rounded wire will drop into the concave depression that faces the center electode.

Also, as the center elctrode wears from firing, it will also become rounded and still maintain a fairly consistant and accurate gap.

...Rich

Rodger (& Georgia),

Just so you know they do make a tool to help close the gap as well as open the gap. Here is a picture of one. But as noted above you don't need it. Simply tap it on a hard surface, (lightly) and it will close easily for you. Just thought you'd like to see the tool is all...

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts