Spark Plug Info?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question for the gurus. I just changed the spark plugs in my 2001 Sport Trac (plugs were the originals). The driver side plugs were AGRF22P and the passenger side plugs were AGRF22PG. The tip of the electrode seems to be where the difference is.

I replaced with all the same number as the parts book shows.

Why was there a difference and was it ok to use all the same number in the replacement?

Typical. Nothing to worry about. I had two different numbers in mine also. They were of no order in the cylinders. Made no sence to me and I know I've read a few posts that said they found the same thing.;)

when I got my plugs the electrodes seemed to have a thinner 1/16th inch tip...did yall notice that?...I have been worried that that the plucg shouldn't have that tip and they would burn down quicker

The new plugs are fine wire nickel electrode. They are replacing all the Platinum plugs with the fine wire nickel plugs. They are supposed to last longer.

Tom

Changing the plugs wasn't that bad. I used to do that every day in a previous job so I still had all the right tools for the job and that was a big plus especially on the rear passenger side plug.

I thought the single number replacements would be fine, but I had never seen two different numbers in the same engine like that before.

Is that something ford did? When I go to replace my plugs what kind/brand do I use?

Yes, Ford did it. Since they built the engine, they are the ones that installed the spark plugs.

As for the plugs, use Motorcraft. I have been burned by those "High Performance" gimmick plugs to even dream of using anything but Motorcraft plugs.

Tom

I have Nippon Densos in my '03 and they work just fine. I can't say if they work better than stock since they worked fine also. I was looking for longevity. We'll see down the road if they last longer.

man me and my dad changed the plugs out in my truck and man were they hard to get out. i dont know how some of you guys took them out but we went under the wheel well after we took off the tire and it was still hard to get to the middle and back plugs. then we cracked a plug wire and had to go back in and change that out. what a pain

The didfferant plug nmumber are for Ford to save a few peenies. My 2000 had teh same thing. at the time mmy Now wife's dad worked as teh Ford plant here in IL. they used cheaper plugs in the inner cylinders and the better one on the outer ends of the engine. thatt way the inte one would run fine and the outer ones would be running a little cleaner where the cheaper one would have fouled out.

To me for a dollar of two, even by a few 1000's that's just bing way too cheap. I replaced all of mine with teh fine wire duoble platium about 50k ago and they are still running fine. may change them again if I don't get rid of the car.

Latest posts