Spark plug question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased my Motorcraft spark plug from my local Ford dealer yesterday. Since the plugs are platinum, are there any special precautions I need to know when I gap the plugs?

Just use a good gaper and be careful not to gouge the tip....

Also apply some High temp anti-seize to the threads on it, not the chamfered edge, or the electrode. Only the threads... The chamfer edge is the "gasket"...

Good luck with that project...

Todd Z

I went as far as indexing my plugs. I essentially did the job twice. Pull the old plug, put the new one it. Check it's location, remove plug, pick the proper ship, and replace plug.

It did not take too long to do and wasn't that hard at all.

Tom

I agree with Tom. These are not too bad to get to. I've seen and done worse. Just take your time and do it right. Use Motorcraft platnium plugs and gap them to spec. Use the antisieze compound on the threads (just a bit--about the size of a matchhead). Best to use a torque wrench if you got it, otherwise just tighen about a 1/16 of a turn after the chamfer hits the seat. Also helps to use a bit of silicone dielectric grease on the outer terminal of the plug. It helps keep the plug wire boots from sticking and helps keep water out of the connection.

Indexing them like Tom does is best, but not really neccessary. However, if you are a perfectionist and want peak performance... :cool: