Spark plug wires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Trac has 65k miles, I am planning on changing the spark plugs and wires in the next few weeks.

I went to the Taylor Vertex & Explorer Express websites; the EE wires kit is $59, I could not find a price list for the Taylor Vertex wire kits.

What are your opinions on after market wire kits? Thanks :)

I believe the EE wires are actually JBA's. I've heard mixed reviews about these wires (jba's) on other boards. The taylor-vetex should run about the same price. I beleive I paid $55+ tax at my local speed shop. You can find the TV part# in my profile.

Just in case, you may want to call TV direct and double check the part number. I just looked them up @ summit.com and the wires pictured weren't the same as what I have. The pic may be different but if you go this route I suggest the above.

if you get taylors from summit listen very carefully to this...

I just recently bought them from summit. The reason the pic looks different is because they ARE different. If you search for them under sport trac, it gives the WRONG part number. It lists the sport trac as needing the ones for the 4.0L V6 OHV... the trac has the 4.0L V6 SOHC... the correct wires are listed under Explorer.. I just returned the wrong ones and they sent me the right ones. The part number is TAY-72632. I installed them about a week ago so I know those are the correct ones.

hope this helps.

-Ryan

I am very happy with the JBA's I bought from EE. They fit very good, and I was even able to use the factory clips even though they are a larger MM wire...

Todd Z

Rodger, IMO I don't really think one is better than the other. The lowest resistence wire you can find will be best but the differences between the above mentioned companies will be little if any. Price will probably be a bigger issue but probably nominal as well. I noticed a bit smoother idle when I went to the TV's but I doubt there is much else to be gained. I think alot of times we reach for justification when we make a change/upgrade. Jacobs are reputable, as are the TV's and the JBA's. The jba's just happen to be the ones I've heard negatives about, but by the same token Todd is enjoying and supporting his, which is better than "what I've heard."