Spark Plugs NEVER AGAIN!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
ESH! I just now finished putting new spark plugs and wires on and WHAT A ROYAL PAIN! Someone at Ford should be shot for how those suckers were crammed in there! I think I have a little skin left on my hands but not much... However, the old girl is running like a champ now! Shoulda done this sooner! BUT next time I'm just going to pay Ford to tackle this... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Sorry needed to vent.

LOL... I feel ya on this approach. Except it didn't take very long to do. How long did it take you? Took me about an hour with dads help to do the C&L MAF, Screamin' Demon Coil, UnderDog plug wires and Auto-lite DP plugs. But it was a little bit of a pain, even though the body lift made it very easy to do without having to remove the wheels.

I can see the pasenger side being some pain. I have had tougher in my life. Been a few that literly had to be taken apart, just to get to the plugs..

I did the plugs on my '03 in less than an hour. It wasn't so bad. All you really need is a 3/8 drive socket, a few short extensions extensions, and a socket. I've done worse than the Trac.

this has been talked about numerous times... there are a few tricks too... like removing the front right wheel and going throught the wheel well to get to the back 2 plugs. also its easier with a spark plug socket that has a 3/4 nut on the end so you can use a wrench on it.. i used a ratchet wrench.( see pic) i changed the plugs in my 01 twice.. 20 minutes max both times...

[Broken External Image]:

troy

Caymen I didn't remove the wheel. just turned it so I could wiggle in behind it. I'm medium sized so I fit snuggle back there.

Woppy,

Keep those expectations high. Spark plugs, oil filters, fluid top-offs should all be "somewhat convenient and accessible", even for the backyard mechanic.

Having to take a wheel off to change plugs, IMHO, is absurd.

I guess the auto makers simply don't want people wrenching on their own vehicles, lest they wouldn't engineer them to be so difficult. Can't satisfy all the people, all the time. Most simply want smaller cars.

I long for the days you could work on a car, be under the hood, drop a wrench, and it would actually fall to the ground.

TJR

TJR,

Start working on cars again. You will be pleasently surpised to find that the brands the people hold so dear and think they are the best thing sinced sliced bread will find those require engine removal to do small repair jobs.

Tom

Caymen,

Haven't done any maint on the new Focus yet. Still well under 5K miles. When it's time to do the oil change I might consider doing that myself. I already have car ramps, etc.

How hard can it be?

TJR

I think my longest was 2 hours and the shortest was about 1 hour, But I don't rush, no need to.

Doing the basics on a car/truck today is easy, just takes the thinking part to realize what your doing and what is the proper tool to use....

Just like a piece of hose over the plug to screw it in, works like a charm and you don't have to bury your arm in there and the hose flexes like a perfect swivle...

Works great on those 4 banger cars where the plug is down in the head..

Todd Z

I had a 1967 Chevy Impala Station Wagon with a 396 in it. I always had to pull the right front wheel to change the front plugs.

OldGuy :rolleyes:

Latest posts