Spark Plugs w/supercharged setup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What plugs do you guys suggest with supercharger setup on a 2004 4.o V6? Im going to put a rpcaster setup on my truck and Im going to change the plugs. Thanks for the help!

Colder !!!!

I don't know the number, but the explorer guys and EE know the number.... I believe our tuner site sponsors also know..

Todd Z

If it already has the supercharger installed and is running well, use the same brand and number of what is in it.

If it is having detonation, then go ahead and go with colder plugs.

Tom

No supercharger yet, getting ready to put it on when it comes in. Thats why Im asking what to change the factory plugs too. I have the motorcraft AGSF-22-FM in there now. I was told to go to a one step colder plug. I was looking at the NGK iridium TR6IX. What do you think?

Do some research on other boards. Some of the folks running s/c's(aftermarket) are using copper plugs. Chances are they will have to be changed more often than every 100k, maybe every 30k, so the platinum's may not be worth the price.

Not a $7000 install, more like $2000-2500.

I also said a "good" plug, and to check and maintain them often. I seem to recall hearing that the more "exotic" material plugs didn't hold up well to the extra cylinder pressure and temps from a FI motor. In comparison to many of the iridium, platinum and other "unobtanium" plugs, a standard Motorcraft or NGK is cheap.

I just sold a S/C 03 Cobra making about 480 HP to the wheels. I ran the NGK TR6 plugs, which was one heat range colder than stock. In addition, the gap on the plugs was considerably smaller with forced induction. To be on the safe side, I would change the plugs every 10K (about once a yr) on my Cobra. It's always good to go in there and check them out periodically and since they are pretty cheap plugs...it was just good insurance to put new ones in. Sure I could have gone longer but IMO...I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Like others have said...talk to a tuner that is familar with S/C applications on Sport Tracs. The tune is a very important piece of the overall puzzle.

Good luck...

Dave

Dave,

If you dont mind can you let me know who the guy is that is familiar with the S/C application on the sport trac. I want to pick his brain. Thanks.

I called Explorer exprlorer express and talked to them about it and they suggested the NGK TR5 so thats what I went with. Hopefully they will work good for what I want. I appreciate all the help. I talked to Ronand the guy he uses for his S/C setup and go the guy who wrote his tune so we will see.

Woppy,

We are talking about pre-detonation. Ignition of the air/fuel mixture BEFORE it is suposed to happen.

That is the dangerous part.

Tom

Is all in the tune, these engines are not built for FI applications, for the money to make FI work you have to run really low boost, maybe 5 lbs max.

In mid 02 ford started using HT pistons, thats why the H.P rateing went from 205 to 210 (less blowby) You ping them they will brake, been there done that.

not enough bang for the bux IMO.

Woppy, Bill has a good explanation. For me If Im going to boost a motor. Im going to gut it and rebuild it for the boost. That way I can give a big boost. I wont to worry about breaking it. Also I will get the longevity out it.

I would like the boost. But for the cost, the trac is just not worth it, IMO.

I built the stang in my library,for boost. I just never got around to it. Then I went off on disabled retirement and sold my toy.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a person running a MP112 on a stock 4.0 SOHC with 15lbs of boost. 293 RWHP 321 RWTQ Daily driven.

his name is Brian Mckelvey over at www.rangerpowersports.com.

i think 5psi with a safe tune will hold fine

Latest posts