spark plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motorcraft plugs or Autolite plugs

JBA wires or Taylor wires...

Todd Z

And unless you really enjoy physical pain (bloody knuckles), hire someone else to do the job. I started to do my daughter's '97 Explorer 4.0 V6 and said screw that.

well unless your arms are toothpicks, you will probably have to take off the tire and go in throught the wheel well and its still a pain.

Use motorcraft plugs they say the Autolite are the same but something is different the motorcraft ones will last a lot longer, and seem to have smoother idle. I worked in a parts store for 4 years Motorcraft is the only thing I would use. also make sure if there platinum or double platinum get the same ones that Ford installed factory .

I helped Jeff C install his during the Dyno Event at the LAP meet. I then helped Rodger install three plugs at the Huber Lunch during the LAP Meet.

They are not that hard to do. I have seen worse.

Tom

Mike I was just going to say the same thing. Had to losen the motor mounts and jack up the engine in my friends '68 Mustang just to see the plugs.

Larry,

IIRC, recomended replacement is 100K miles, but I changed mine at about 60K miles. My brother-in-law's Explorer went 143,000 miles on the OE plugs.

It is up to you. I changed mine because I enjoy doing auto repair and I wanted to do it. It is ultimatly up to you, though I do not recomend going 143,000 miles on the OE plugs.

Tom

OK so I can wait on the plugs a while. I'm at 14k+ since the first of the year.

What about the wires?

Do the aftermarket wires help that much. I'll be getting a xCal2 soon also.

Latest posts