spark plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgie Hidalgo

Reaction score
ok so today i started changing my spark plugs i got some bosch ones from discount auto parts. but the last 2 when i went to do them theres no possible way to reach them. theyre the ones on the passenger side the 2 closest to the glove compartment. like the 2 furthest from the grille. idk how to reach them im just gonna leave it for tmoro and take the wheel off c if i can reach. any input is helpful. thanks guys

Most people reach them through the service drive at the dealer. This is one job you just don't want to do yourself.

I took this same advice and, while it costs a bit to have this done at the dealer, my, and your, time is worth more than fighting with those spark plugs.

Taking off the wheel will help (some).

You might want to leave the Bosch plugs out, many people on this site have tried them in the ST and didn't like the results. Here is a link to the spark plug project

yes take the wheel off for better access. but you are wasting your money with the bosch plugs especially the platium plus.my fuel mileage is bad enough it dropped from 17 mpg to 15mpg and thats on the highway with the bosch plugs.stick with motorcraft.edj.

jorge, they are a pain in the a** to get to. I have "Popeye" arms and hands and was able to do it with the wheels on and turned to the driver's side. I did leave a fair amount of DNA on the headers and such in there though. I also put in Bosche +2 plugs and that was about 30K miles and it still gets me about 18-20 mpg city/highway mix.;)

Jorge, Take off the passenger side tire and use a spark plug socket that you can get a wrench on top of...

IF you cant or don't have that, or it will not come loose, then use a short extension and a regular 3/8 ratchet..

IT is not that hard when you realize how to get in there..

Todd Z

I luckily had a set of wobble extensions that let you move the ratchet up and down a few inches, I started thru the wheel opening to get it on and then went under the vehicle, over it and seems like I was hanging upside down at one point.lol. Once it got loose enough,I used my fingers on the socket to get them the rest of the way out. Going in was just as much fun._Ron

i had autolites iridiums in, had good gas mileage... just put in bosch and I have lost about 40-50 kilometers per tank... I going back to my autolites as soon as I have time to install them again.

Those two plugs I had to use two universal joint extensions to get to them after removing the tire. I have to agree with Big D. I thought it might be the gas in the winter time but my mileage has really gone down with the Bosch plugs. I just got my new wires and screamin deamon coil pack so it looks like I will get new plugs too. I would not like to make a living replacing the plugs on sport tracs . . .:(

Bosch. Gimmick plugs and are nothing but a waste of money.

I still can not believe people fall for that crap.

"Ohhh, different design. It HAS to work better that OEM."

Except it doesn't.

Tom