Spectre Performance Replacement Air Filter Element

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Smith

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Anyone know anything about (or have experience with) this brand of replacement drop in filter element? $21 on Amazon, vs. about double for K+N. Thanks.

2004 flex fuel trac xlt

I bought one for my truck and noticed a slight improvement in throttle response. No real gains in MPG.

I use my truck at the family ranch a lot during hunting season in South, TX. The one thing I noticed was the filter let a good bit of dust past the filter. I'm pretty AR about keeping dirt out of my engine so I switched back to a paper WIX filter. K&N also let dirt past in my old truck. Which makes sense, more air flow through the same surface area leads to less filtration. If u don't drive in rural areas u might be ok, just keep an eye on it

2004 XLT 4x2.

I recommend the AMSOIL air filter for your truck. Nanofiber technology, 4 year/100,000 mile service life, and the best part is that cleaning takes 5 minutes with a vacuum brush attachment. Here's the online lookup for your truck:

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2004+FORD%20TRUCKS+EXPLORER%20SPORT%20TRAC+K

Cost is $38.10 retail, or $29 wholesale through our Preferred Customer program, which gives you big savings on this part and everything else AMSOIL offers. Please contact me if you have any questions.

I've never been a fan of Spectre products, build quality always seemed subpar, at best. JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
build quality always seemed subpar

Cheap chromed plastic. Price reflects so at parts stores. Not very often I see spectre products @ performance auto stores, around me.

I really don't feel like mail ordering an air filter. Isn't there somewhere in San Diego that sells something good?

Thanks.

For "quality" drop in filters, research the Amsoil, AFE, K&N, etc.

Since they're all considered long life filters, spend a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might just go to Ford for Motorcraft if I can't p/u an Amsoil tomorrow. But stopped in Pep Boys, he said their Purolator's are "great, they probably make them for Ford's Motorcraft". Doubt it.

The stock intake simply isn't very restrictive. Just get a K&N drop-in, yank out the silencer (on a Gen 1), and call it good.

The stock intake simply isn't very restrictive. Just get a K&N drop-in, yank out the silencer (on a Gen 1), and call it good.

I never did get this resolved with Amsoil directly despite numerous calls, emails, promises of return calls, etc. But I did get resolution via one of their dealers, who are apparently all independent. Robert Buchaklian, [email protected], 619-866-9988. He will definitely help you out with their products and he went out of his way to assist me. Highly recommend him.

Latest posts