Sport Track wont start!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason vocaty

Reaction score
The Trac drove in to work today no issues. Went to run to parts house and when I tried to start it I let the key go into the run position before truck was started. Now it wont run. I have fuel in the fuel rail spark at the plugs but there bone dry. Possibly the injectors not firing off as they should. I am doing the disconnect battery thingy for ten minutes now. Anybody have any clue to what else I should look at before I call the tow truck?:angry:

Fuel pump. You can try pressing the gas pedal and starting. How many miles on it? How much gas does the guage show?

Does it get spark? Does it sound like it can't turn over?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spray carb cleaner or something into the intake, See if it is a fuel issue....

Check the fuse to the computer....

Todd Z

Thanks Todd I checked the under hood fuses but not the ones in the cab! I assume that's were the ecm fuse is located?

Verdict is in !:banana: Bad inertia switch total cost replaced at local for dealer $140.00!:cool: I know most dealers s**k but I love Monticello ford. Towed in at 1:00 repair estimate and part ordered 3 hours later. Ready in the morning. Try that with a Toyota!

J.vocaty,

So it was the cut-off switch...not that it was pressed but that it went bad.

Hmm. I hate it when switches like that go.

I wonder what the lifespan of that switch should be?

P.S. I found the FORD OEM part online for $20. I suspect it's in the same place on the '03 as was on my '04. Probably just a few minutes to replace. I suspect a whopping part of that $140 was diagnostics fee?

TJR

Verdict is in ! Bad inertia switch total cost replaced at local for dealer $140.00! I know most dealers s**k but I love Monticello ford. Towed in at 1:00 repair estimate and part ordered 3 hours later. Ready in the morning. Try that with a Toyota!

Yeah, I hear ya. All Toyota (dealership) did for me when I had a problem was to bring me a new Camry to drive and then deliver the corrected Supra back to my driveway.

Damn the luck!!!!!!!!!;)

I have seen more people here have bad inertia switches pressumably, In 20+ years of doing this I have never repalced an inertia switch on ANY Ford vehicle. I just hope that you don't have a fuel pump issue and they misdiagnosed it as an inertia switch.

I changed the fuel pump first, then had to change the inertia switch! It was the inertia switch the whole time. In my case it would run for a few minutes after pressing it, then cut out again, requiring another press to make it another few minutes, etc. When I got home the switch was hot enough to melt the connector!

L1tech, dreman,

Boy it sure sounds like Ford has (had?) a bad supply of those inertia switches. I've been doing some google searching on "inertia switch replacement" and I see a lot of Ford hits. Now, to be fair, that could be because Ford is leading the pack in placing them in vehicles.

TJR

Now, to be fair, that could be because Ford is leading the pack in placing them in vehicles

I thought they were a required safety device in all FI cars.?

DaveS let me remind you it is a six year old vehicle and this was the first problem. How old was your Toyota? L1tech I trust my dealer and will let you know if I shouldn't if the fuel pump goes out in the near future. They said if they held in the button it would run if not the vibration from the motor running shuts it off.

Fast Eddie,

That may be the case, I don't know. I just know Ford was listing the I.S. prominently in its sales literature in the write-ups of the ST. But then again, showcasing something that you are REQUIRED to put in might be another "Bold Move." ;)

TJR

Ford is the only MFG that uses an inertia switch in their vehicles. Either they are doing something right that no one else is or there head is stuck up their (insert word I can't use)...I think it is the later

j.vocaty:

DaveS let me remind you it is a six year old vehicle and this was the first problem. How old was your Toyota?

To tell the truth, even though a true experience, I was just stirring a little. Guess I expected a response, o since you responded, I'll answer.

My Supra was a 1987 that I purchased used in 1987 and the story timeline is around 1995. It completely shut down (electrical and mechanical) on a highway. I called the dealer for a tow only but not only did the towtruck show up, but a new 1995 / 1996 Camry!

Although, I don't believe I have ever stated anything to the likes of Toyota is the Greatest in any of my posts. I was reaised Ford and have owned many, many of them both new and used. I just like vehicle diversity as I've stated in the past.

BTW...my remaining (2) Fords - 99 Taurus and 05 ST are still parked in my garage. And to this date, I have never had anything negative to say about them.

But I digress, you responded to my stir and I felt obligated to reply.;)