Sport Trac's are for RICH People!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Loris

Reaction score
Does this sound Normal for a Car Owner to have to go through. I have a 2002 and have had ALL the different problems people have had, but all on ONE VEHILCE!! Cracked Paint, Cupped Tires, Bad Shocks. PCV Valve, Bad wheel Bearing, Cracked wires in steering colum (no Brake Lights). I Have spent over $1,100 dollars on all this in the past week including Brakes & Rotors. It only has 60,000 miles on it. I can't afford to keep it anymore, It's going to need a new paint job and I am affraid to find out how much $$ thats going to be. All this makes me reconsider on ever buying another Ford Vehicle. I have owned lots of cars in my life and none have had anywhere near the problems I have had with my Ford.

Also my rear passenger side dooor won't open from the inside, It's not the Child Safety Lock either. I haven't looked any further int to that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I bought it used in Dec. 2002 with 20,000 Miles on it and none of the problems came till after the warranty expired.

sounds to me like your S/T's previous owner didnt tell you all of its past life...check into it. there are many members here with 100k+ miles and very little problems. then again there is a bad apple in every tree. my experience with GM cars is the same as yours with your S/T.

ALL the 2002's had crappy oem brakes and shocks which I changed out very early but other then that my 02 Trac has been perfect.

To be fair, TLJ, maybe that's the last $1K you put into the truck for the next 30K to 50K miles. If so, then depending on what you paid for the ST used, it might be an economical vehicle for its size and capabilities.

My 2002 Sport Trac (purchased new) gave me many, many problems after the warranty expired -- bad seals in the rear diff, horrible shocks and wheel cupping, valve body repairs on the tranny, broken door handles and locks, etc., etc., etc. And every problem that I had was well documented by other people on this forum, which tells me it's a pattern, not an isolated event.

That's why my next vehicle purchase was a Toyota.

Rocks

2001 Job 2 it's been very reliable. Only thing after warranty was the elbow hose that cracked. Cheap fix. However, I know the ball joints need to be replaced. Probably going to go another year and then trade it in for a FJ Cruiser.

I had the problem with the door handle on my '02. Easy fix. Otherwise it was a good vehicle. Traded it in at ~90k for an FJ cruiser. Got the FJ not because I did not like the ST, but rather due to issues with a dealer and my attempt to order an '07.

TLJ,

I feel your pain. The maintenance issues on top of the poor gas mileage forced me into a decision to sell too. Paying a truck payment, $300/mo in gas, plus maintenance was getting ridiculous.

I would bet if we could ever get a real poll of ST owners, we would have more satisfied owners, than non...

I have owned more Ford products than anything else. Always been pleased with them.

Family and close friends that have owned GM, fell apart during and after warranty.

BTW, all the chrysler products I have owned held up well also.

Sometimes I have to wonder if it is the nut behind the wheel...:lol:

Gavin - you got the luck 2007 model...LOL There are atleast 3 people with 2007s that had to have the engine completely replaced with less than 2K miles!

never keep an st past the warranty. Mine was dumped at 29,000 miles & deteriating quickly. I'll dealt with several factory issues that the shop had to repair. But this POS wasn't worth what was lining up. Engine, tranny, and rear window were all ready to take a shit. Pity the fool that bought that junker thinking it was a nice low mileage truck. :D

Replacing engines in 07s already???!!! Ought to replace the ugly front ends.

can you spell T U N D R A