SportTrac + Black Ice = WRECKED!!!! 2nd Update! Updated with Pics!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Schaecher

Reaction score
Yep.... Been driving for 4.5 hours and literally 5 minutes from my in-laws hit some black ice and away she went. Sideways down the road, into a ditch and (crunch). Tree.

Pardon the length, I have yet to talk to an insurance agent, other than to initiate the claim and want to put something down so I don't forget it.

My wife was in the passenger front seat (banged up elbow and glass in her lap), 4 year old daughter was on the driver side rear and 18 month old son was on the passenger side rear. Dog on the floor in the back.

Everyone is fine, son was laughing, I was shaking and have still not calmed down.

Don't have pics yet, get them in the morning. Passenger front door heavy damage (pushed in and barely touches the seat), window gone, door pull gone, ventvisor destroyed, step bar is now a shallow "v" shape, door won't open. Rear passenger side door won't close (hopefully it's just the hinges knocked out of place...). Wrinkle on the skin above the door where the tree hit. Ran into a barbed-wire fence so some paint missing off the front and my bug guard is broken.

My father-in-law was 5 minutes behind us (unknowningly). He hit the same patch of ice and slid around a bit in his sedan. He stopped and we loaded the daughter in the back with the dog and my wife held my boy in the front seat. He came back shortly with their 4x4 Durango and some chain. The guy who's fence I hit came out and helped. got the ST out of the ditch and onto the road. Drove it back to the in-laws, parked in the garage, unloaded all the christmas presents and disconnected the battery (rear-door ajar).

Scared of what the insurance will say. Full-coverage and paid for, so that's the good news. 100987 miles on an '02... the bad news.

Supposed to meet up with my parents tomorrow for a show and traditional christmas eve pizza. Don't know if that's going to happen yet. Depends on if there is a car at the in-laws to borrow.

Best news is that everyone is A-OK. What a way to start 10 days on the road.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad your ok.......

Keep us posted on the truck..

Todd Z

Holy Cr$%^ !! Glad you and the family are ok!! That black ice is sure nasty....

Get ready to feel a lot of muscles you didn't know you had tomorrow though.

At least everyone is ok. Try to enjoy the holiday as best you can...

Not a great way to start the holiday......but TG you guys are ok.....that's what's most important.

I've hit some black ice before and it's pretty scary when your out of contol going down the highway.

Just be very thankful that none of your family will be spending Christmas in a hospital.

If you have the money and love your ST, then i would fix it by yourself. Because almost certain the insurance company will throw it out on the auction and give it a salvage title. But that gives you a chance to go buy it at the auction. I dont know if you can avoid not reporting it to the insurance company. But the main thing, is that everyone is ok. Just celebrate the holidays and worry about this later

Happy Holidays everyone

Oh man, sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad everyone is OK.

If you have the rental coverage, just get a rental from your insurance for the rest of the trip. Rentals are cheap these days, so even if not, it is a better option than perhaps wrecking a friend or relatives car on bad roads during the holidays.

R Shek,

Sorry to hear that.

Did the same thing with our '04. About 35 miles per hour, otherwise dry roads, going up a slight incline and hit black ice. The backend came out and around and I couldn't regain control and went off road. Luckily I hit nothing and there was no damage.

TJR

Sorry to hear it and glad the family and you are not badly injured. Iam so glad that type of winter is very rare here.

Went to take pics and the battery in the camera is dead. Will get some up tonight.

From what I can tell:

- Passenger front door - total loss (may be able to recover interior panel)

- Passenger side step bar - total loss with mounts

- Passenger side cladding - Near total loss

- Passenger side B post - slight damage (causing rear door not to close)

- Passenger side front body above door - slight damage

- Passenger side quarter panel - scratched (Barbed Wire)

- Passenger Side Front Vent Visor - Total Loss

- Hood Bug Guard - Damaged, Loss

- Grill - Scratched (Barbed Wire)

- Bumper Guard - Scratched (Barbed Wire)

- Passenger Front Tire - Needs to be remounted (leaves and twigs in the bead, slow leak)

- Passenger Front Wheel Well Liner - Needs to be Reattached

- Washed - tree debris on hood, roof, etc

- Vacuumed - Glass on passenger side front and rear floor, seat, etc.

Waiting to hear back from Ins. Co. on what to do. I can drive it home if I need to for them to do whatever with. It would just be me in it and I can drive my Taurus back up.

Obviously, I would much rather it be repaired with clean title. It's worth a lot more to me than the $$$ is since I won't get a ton out of it (it's probably worth more in parts....). I probably won't be able to replace it with a settlement and I don't have an extra $10k lying around (not all that interested in another car loan....).

We'll wait and see. Pics to come tonight. But first, it's meeting with my parents to take my wife and daughter to the Rockette's Christmas Show in St Louis. Need something to get into the Holiday Spirit.... and take my mind off this B.S.

Thanks for all the notes of care. I will be back tonight. Ya'll are some of the best friends out there and I have never met any of ya!

God Bless and Merry Christmas!!!

Ryan, I know what you mean about loosing a good car to a total, with a clean title. Been there twice. Even if the insurance gives you top retail market. It is never the same as value to you or your pocket book.

God bless you and your family. Look to Jesus :wub: this season. That is whats holding me up, through this divorce at this time.

Merry Christmas

Eddie

Ryan, so, so sorry your holiday vacation was marred by this incident.

And I'm glad, as bad as it seems, that no one was injured, which they easily could have been.

I hope you can deal with it in the back of your mind, but in the front of your mind try to enjoy the holidays and be a good dad, son and husband.

My thoughts are with you, buddy. :)

Ryan, sorry about the accident, but the important thing is that everyone's OK. I'm glad to hear that. The Trac can be either replaced or repaired. Sure, it's a pain in the a$$, but at least everyone's still together and well to celebrate the holidays.:D

Pics...

Before (9/22/02)

[Broken External Image]::cool::wub::D

After

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch!!!!!

I hope you were still able to enjoy Christmas with your family dispite your truck getting all messed up.

The appearance of your 02 is outstanding. I looks like it has been very well maintained. I grew up in the Body Shop business and your damage has some challenges. Let forget about the frame for a minute, the main concerin is the "B" piller door post which appears push in and when this happens, it rolls the cowl/firewall back a bit. A good frame man would get a new door and hinges and make body pulls to reverse the impact damage and getting the door to refit the the body. I'd save her if I found the parts cheap enough. This damage does have considerable body pull(s) time on a good frame machine and the damage extends into the roof. Not good, not easy to fix. Putting a new roof skin is also labor intensive but this appears straightenable.

Sure glad your Bride is okay.

Latest posts