Sporttrac VS Dakota

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Allen

Reaction score
My 07 is in getting the beautiful key marks removed from my passengers side door. Insurances is covering it so I've got a rental vehicle, a 2008 Dakota. It's kind of ironic because I original test drove a 2007 Dakota before purchasing my ST. The only reason I found the ST was because the guys at the Dodge dealership were overly pushy and aggressive, I decided to explore my options. I didn't know the 07 ST's existed until I left the Dodge lot. I have to say we made the best decision, I cant wait to get my truck back from the body shop, I miss it so much. I dont know how much longer I can drive this Dakota and I have to admit, I'm a little embarrassed to be seen in it (or maybe it's because it has a backup alarm when you reverse). I was trying to list all the points I like better on my ST than the Dakota, the list got way to long so I gave up. I do like one thing better about the Dakota though, the headlights are brighter and that's about the only thing. I'll take my ST over brighter headlights any day.

I myself used to like the dakota. When I got my '04 Trac, that changed my mind also..:D

I feel very lucky. Never been without my trac. The only time it was at the dealer, since purchase was for the trans additive recall. That only took 15minutes.:D

Does it really have a backup alarm when you reverse??? If it does then it is kind of sad and funny at the same time.:lol:

Rob, did you get the quad cab? V8?

Yeah, I miss driving my Trac whenever she's in for maintenance/repair or when somebody is borrowing her. Definitely can't wait to jump into her after clocking out from work (not that I hate my job, it's just that I'm tired and need to get my MYST on)!

Its funny. My neighbor bought a new dakota 5 years ago. We talk about all types of things but our trucks. I always see him often working on his. He has never caught me working on mine except for last week when I was cleaning the battery terminals. He was checking over my engine and didn't make a comment. I told him "yeah, I havent lifted the hood for a year. The truck never gives me any problems". :lol:He asked me if I needed any help. I think he just wanted to check out my Trac!:D

Rob,

I'm in the same boat as you, my friend. My Trac was hit from behind and while its in the shop I have a rental vehicle. Its not all bad though... I wound up with a Ford Edge :D

very cool crossover. I like it a lot.

For your viewing convenience...:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2YlH_nhLcU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2YlH_nhLcU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I had a Dakota Sport before my Trac. The styling looked great in black. It was a standard cab with little to no behind the seat room. In spite of an exhaust, , reduced pulleys, Jacobs ignition and wires it was a gas hog with p--s poor performance with the V6. The Trac is a much better platform with a lot more performance.

Trac_511, yeah it's the V8 Quad cab. It's a 2008 that has been BAGGED! Feels like the front end is ready to droop out. Every time I hit a bump the steering wheel shakes pretty bad and it floats over bumps lol. I've informed enterprise, they offered an exchange but I barely drive so I'll ride it out.

I enjoyed watching the video and the others that came along with it.

There's a white one shown, like mine, that had the cladding painted white, along with the roof rack and side steps (which I removed). I've already talked to my body shop guy about doing the painting for me. He said it wouldn't be too expensive, which remains to be seen.

Then all I'll need for appearance sake would be the wheels and the lowering kit.

I put on clear corners last night. Need clear tail lights. The clear high brake light has been purchased from Dingo and will be installed next week.

I'm on a roll here, so watch out! :D

Back on topic, I drove the Dakata quadcab V-8 a couple of years ago. Wasn't impressed, especially with the lack of storage in the interior and the lack of legroom in the back seat. Kinda cheap interior finishes too, but Dodge is known for their cheap interiors. But the 2009 Ram interior is a huge turning point for them. It's a really nice truck inside and out. $42K nicely equipped.

When I was buying this time last year, I tested a '08 Dodge Dakota Laramie CC first. The feel and handling of the Dodge not as smooth and solid as the Trac. The Dakota's 4.7 V8 was pretty strong, maybe better than the Trac's 4.6 and the Dodge's transmission worked smooth, we all know about our 6 speeds. Overall, the Dakota with the Laramie package was a pretty nice truck overall but didnt offer things like 4 wheel disc and for sure wasnt as good looking as the Trac. Needless to say, I bought the Trac and am pretty happy. Oh yea, the Ridgeline.....you are kidding....right?

Last edited by a moderator:
That video was hilarious. I loved the Honduh Rigdeline FAKE truck/SUV bashing. That minivan with a truck body really is worthless. :lol:

Thanks for the video TT,

I enjoyed it and I have never liked the other crew cab trucks, except maybe the Nissan

Frontier. But that doesn't compare to the Sport Trac. IMO

Looked at Toyota, but they had awful colors.