squeak squeak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D 3

Reaction score
Need opinions/help.

I bought my ST in August or so. Shortly after that, the belt started squeaking. I posted, and got responses to replace the serpentine and something else (can't remember the part name...I just searched, and for some reason can't find my post...:( )

But the other part is a cylinder looking thing, about $15-$20 at the auto parts store.

Anyway...

I bought, and had a mechanic install, because I was having brakes done. So, the squeak went away for a little while, but...its...back...

It's quiet at idle, only when I accelerate, if that matters.

I'm about to sell this truck, and I'd kind of like it to not howl when I sell it.

Any thoughts? I guess I should've just took it to the mechanic and said, make it stop squealing.

Or should I just WD40 the hell out of it right before I trade? :blink:

Thanks for any advice.

jd

It is either the tensioner pulley or idler pulley...

Also on the 01 ans Early 02 St the water pump pulley was re designed for 03 and up because it was also known to cause noise..

Todd Z

Todd,

Thats funny!! I just went to the dealer for the same thing. They say its the belt.

I say its a pulley. But with this being a warrantee claim I have to follow the process.

Any History or TSB with the '05, I can show the dealer?

Mitch, the w/p issue was only on 2001 and early 2002...

Todd Z

Crap. Guess I'll just bring it back to the mechanic then. This time, I'll just say, "make it stop". Was trying to 'learn' a bit about vehicles and not be so dependent on mechanics.

Oh well. Lesson learned.

Mookie,

I'll just say I'm less than pleased with the ST. I had a '95 Explorer before, and had hoped the jump to an '02 would be significant. Very little difference. Btwn my '02 and my father's '99 Sierra with 50k more miles on it, I'd take his for a long trip. Not that confident in the ST.

You guys seem to all like them pretty well...I'm glad for those who like them. Wish I could find something I was happy with.

thanks,

jd

well...

i bought my '02 for $10k...about the top limit for me, at this time.

wife's got the expensive car for a few more years!

Latest posts