Squeeky Serpantine Belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Just really annoying. Its been like this since day one. Whenever its cold or humid/rainy, the belt squeeks like mad. Would belt dressing fix it or is another issue forming????

Big Al

Have you thought of replacing the belt?

Sometimes the belt gets glazed making it squeak. Another problem could be a weak tensioner not providing enough tension on the belt. Another cause could be a squeaking bearing on the idler pulley.

If it were me, I would try to isolate the sound first. If you are unable to isolate the sound and it sounds like the belt is actually slipping, replacing the belt might solve it.

On Theresa's Explorer, the tensioner failed. She got it home no problem. Replaced the tensioner, belt, (it was the original belt) and the idler pulley.

If you want, I can send you the old belt and idler pulley. The idler pulley was fine, it just has 139,500 miles on it and while I have everything apart, I just changed it for GP.

Tom

Tom,

I was looking at the belt and the pulley below the 4.0 cover has a wobble to it. Is this the tensioner or the idler pulley? I can't really tell on the others but what would it cost me for the idler pulley and belt???

Big Al

If the pulley is not on a lever, it is the idler pulley. The tensioner pulley is the one mounted on the arm.

As for the pully and belt, just pay shipping. I have no use for them. As I said, they have 139,500 miles on it. It could just be used to see if that is your problem.

Do you spray your engine down on a regulaer basis.

If you want, I can drop it in the mail tomorrow. Just email me your address.

Tom

I only washed it once. I was careful not to hose the pulleys, battery, etc. I was told to stay far away from belt dressing. With all the rain and humid weather, its been really bad. So bad I can hear through the cab at normal driving speeds. Its something that started shortly after I purchased the ST. Its would go away, come back, then go away. But since the new year, its been getting progressively worse. One things I noticed it the belt is wearing uneven. Where one side is worn more then other other. I snapped a few pics of the belt. Notice how one side has a different texture. It feels worn or smooth compared to the rest of the belt.

I'll send my address shortly.

Big Al

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom,

I tried to send an email but was returned. Is the email in your profile the correct one?

Big Al

Yes, my email address is correct.

The pulley with the arrow pointing to it is the idler pulley.

If that is wobbleing, that is your problem.

Tom

My belt did that when I got the st. I thought it was because of it still being wet from the detail job they did. It kept doing it, they tried spraying it and finally changed the belt and the noise went away. I kept the old one for a spare.

i've had that issue for years, with my other fords..... the solution was to use only motorcraft or dayco belts....... the cross sectional profile matched the pullies, while a napa or other brand belt does not...... the correct belts have rounded teeth, while the incorrect belts sport a squared off tooth pattern.... works for me.... HTH

If you replace the belt you might check out the Goodyear belt. They have transverse grooves on the drive side that make them more flexible. They are quiet and have a free replacement warranty. If it fails they will give you a free replacement. Had one on my F-150 for a few years, it started to come apart at the edge, it was replaced free at the parts store I purchase it from.