ST loses electrical while in motion?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB

Reaction score
So I'm driving this morning and I'm going about 20mph at a steady rate. All of a sudden my entire dash shuts off, gauges and all - battery light comes on - goes off - and then the dash reappears. Even the radio shut off - but the engine didn't.

This has happened to me once before when my friend kicked the Fuel Emergency Shut-Off switch on the passenger's side floor panel. My gauges all fell to ZERO and the only thing I had were brakes. However, electrical still worked - gauges, radio, lights.

Has anyone had what happened to me ToDAY happen to them??? My friend who was with me said it might be a loose connection to my battery, but wouldn't my truck shut off, too? My odometer even kept its reading (unless it needs more than a few seconds to reset itself).

I'm about to bring my ST in Thursday to get them to check out the power steering - I'm getting a "vibration" when in idle. I think I read something about others having this problem. Don't quite remember what advice was given, but I'm going to let the guys at Ford check it out.

I had a similar experience with my Honda. Instruments started jumping up and down, dash lights started blinking on and off and finally everything electrical shut off except the engine, however that was starting to run poorly. I managed to limp to my destination about 2 miles away an as I pulled into the parking spot the engine died.

I had the car towed to Honda and they said that there was a short/loose connection in the main fuse panel wiring haness. They replaced it at a cost of about $420.

I suspect that you have an electrical problem with the main harnes under the dash, or in the fuse panel. The reason the egine may run is because the effected wiring harness/fuse panel is primarily controls accessories.

...Rich

with the truck running you can move the wiring under the kick plate, tap the computer connections, move things under the dash and things like that and see if it does it. You may be able to fix your self..

Hopefully it is just a loose or bad connection from a radio, alarm or other electrical install..

Todd Z

i had that problem a few months ago, i was goin down a hill at about 35mph, and the entire truck shut off...i didnt just lose electric, the engine stalled too...and the check engine light came on...turned out to be a broken vacuum...

My x have a Honda Civic that did that but unlike RichardL they never found a resolution after 3 tries and over 90 days, it was purchased back. But it took 8 months........

After the car is started, it should run with the battery disconnected , because the altenator takes over. That's the way they use to work . Never tried it with newer cars.

I would check plugs and sockets near your fuse boxes too.

Gary, On the newer cars you can cause severe damage to other electrical systems doing it that way... I fixed too many from those tests...

Todd Z

Latest posts