ST running cold

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Rhoads

Reaction score
I have recently noticed that my ST seems to be running considerably colder than usual. In the past the coolant temp gauge always registered near the middle while now it is barely into the normal operating range on the gauge. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thermostat or the temp sensor...in the case of my Mustang, it turned out to be the temp sensor...if you have high millage go with the thermostat first..probably needs a new one anyway...

It's winter time and ambient temps are dropping which may be helping the trac cool more efficiently. Don't be so quick to assume there is a problem.

Space,

When it is 90 degrees or 0 degrees, my Trac still operates at about 192 degrees, give or take a degree or two.

A bad thermostat will make it run hot or cold.

Tom

The thermostat is there to maintain a constant engine temp regardless of out side temps...

If the Gage is reading low, the sender or the thermostat is bad... I would recommend a new thermostat and coolant flush..

Todd Z

Yeah, if the thermostat is stuck open, you won't be able to warm up....

If it is stuck closed, you will overheat...

To determine if it is the thermostat or the temp sensor, you can try getting out on the freeway, pushing a great deal of air through the radiator, and run your heater full blast. If the air is as hot as it usually would be, the sensor is probably bad. If the air is luke-warm, the thermostat is stuck open.

I just did a thermostat job on my wifes Audi, and before the work was done you couldn't get hardly any warm air out of the heater (thermostat was stuck open). But then again, it is like 15F here right now.....so the test was easy.

Agree with Todd Z and Caymen, I live up here in the great white north, normal operating temp is normal operating temp, wheather it is +40 or -40, It will just take a little longer to get up to operating temp at -40.