ST stalling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Fazzina

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals. Been awhile. I have been having issues with my truck stalling as I slow down and take corners. It happens most of the time when I exit from highways or pull into driveways. I have an aftermarket intake and just replaced the battery. Aside from that ??? Any ideas? Oh and welcome stonemiser and JDBoxes. Best of luck.

Year and mileage of this car would be helpful. If you're over 50K I'd start with a set of spark plugs, a fuel filter and PCV valve. Check your air filter for dirt buildup and clean it if necessary. Run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (I recommend AMSOIL P.i.) to clean out carbon deposits. These steps are relatively low cost. Is your Check Engine light on? If so, there are many places (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.) you can visit to have the codes read for no charge. Hope this helps.

Hi Mike, Hope you been doing well...

I had the same thing with my '88 T-Bird. I found the reason for stalling on turns. When my fuel pump quit.

The sock, filter, strainer, it has many names. On the bottom of the pump had fallen off. Not sure about the Trac. But the fuel pump on the T-bird Sat in an internal tray. The tray is designed to hold fuel so when you make turns. The pump doesnt' starve, at lower fuel levels. The strainer is on the bottom of the tray. It would happen all the time when I got to 1/3 of a tank. Mostly on left turns.

It was a fluke to find it. Only because the pump quit. The pump probably locked up from trash, because the strainer was missing.

Just an idea. 'Cause what happened to me.

Year and mileage of this car would be helpful. If you're over 50K I'd start with a set of spark plugs, a fuel filter and PCV valve. Check your air filter for dirt buildup and clean it if necessary. Run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (I recommend AMSOIL P.i.) to clean out carbon deposits. These steps are relatively low cost. Is your Check Engine light on? If so, there are many places (Pep Boys, Autozone, etc.) you can visit to have the codes read for no charge. Hope this helps.

Latest posts