ST towing a fifthwheel????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Grant

Reaction score
Hello All

I recently came upon the scamp web site. They manufacture fiberglass campers. They also make a 19 foot fifth wheel that tows on a standard ball in the bed of the truck like a horse trailer. It weighs 2000 lbs and has a pin weight of 400 lbs. Do you think the ST could do this. I talked with the people there and they said their most common tow vehicle for the fifthwheels are ford rangers. Any advice would be great.

As long as the fiberglass composite bed is not an issue, I believe the ranger is a metal bed.. If the mount affixes to the frame then you should have no issue.. Just remove the tailgate....

The weight is not an issue...

Todd Z

A fifth wheel is designed to sit directly over the rear axle. Since the axle is pushed close to the bed, it wont work.

Tom

Since the axle is pushed close to the bed, it wont work.

Do you mean the cab??... If not please explain??

Todd Z

I am still sleepy eyed. Yes, you are right. The axle is pushed foreward to the cab. There is not enough room for the fifth wheel to turn without hitting the cab.

Tom

Ouch... That could hurt.... Could it be mounted on some type of adjustable rails?? Or do those rails only adjust left and right???..

It does sound like a great idea to tow, so you don't have all that weight sitting on the rear bumper or hitch... Sounds like it makes for a safer more stable ride..

Todd Z

I used to have a 2002 Ranger, I remember the owner's manual saying you shouldn't tow 5th wheel trailers with it. 2000 lb is pretty light though. Styleside Ranger beds are steel, I believe the Flareside beds are composite, at least the outer fenders if not the whole bed.

It is a gooseneck style hitch like on a horse trailer. The hitch comes down and out away from the fifth wheel about 8 inches I would say. Wouldn't that put the trailer itself far enough behind the axle????

To be honest, I don't think it will. Even short bed trucks have trouble towing fifth wheels. The Trac's bed is shorter than the short bed pickup.

Tom

I agree that the only challenge will be the shortness of the bed. If there is room to mount the hitch far enough back and allow you to turn safely you should be good to go. The weight is not an issue. The further ahead you can move the fifth wheel connection the more the load will be evenly shared by the over-all suspension as opposed to just the rear like if you were using a traditional hitch either off the bumper or a rear frame mounted style.

So in theory is is better to tow as as fifth wheel design. It is just a matter of our vehicles can be set up for it...

Jim How did you post the picture in the message. I couldn't figure out how???

To fmarano, wouldn't 400 lbs be better over the axle than on the rear end as would be with a normal travel trailer??

Ryan, type the text you want. Then hit enter once or twice to put in a space or two. Then click on the last icon or the right. It will open your library. Simply click in the little circle of the picture you want.

Here is a picture of the icons I am referring to..

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I dont know. I am use to driving tractor trailers where I have to watch per axle weight ratio.......I am sure the ST is different.....

Simple matter of physics here. When you put weight on the hitch, you not only put that weight on the rear axle, you also transfer some of the vehicle weight to the rear axle because you move the center of gravity rearward. When you place a weight directly above the axle, you do not change the CG, you only apply weight to the axle. If you do not believe nor understand this, then study CG calculations and prove it to yourself. As far as per axle weight, this is a DOT thing. Our little trucks are not subject to that. However, if you are towing, be sure your tires are properly rated for the load.

per axle weight isnt just a DOT thing.......it is followed so a person can control and drive the tractor trailer safely......the truck handles different when weight is loaded in certain positions.