ST towing a fifthwheel????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Ford Ranger that much different than the ST. As I said earlier, the factory says that most of these 5th wheels are being towed by ford rangers and dodge dakotas

I would not tow something like that with a Ford Ranger either. Not saying that it couldn't nut it would not be practical. The ST and Ranger are great for pulling boats and pop-ups but I wouldn't try anything more. I used to have a 19' hybrid. Used my wife's Expedition to go on trips with it. Only used the ST to tow it from the storage lot to the house. That was only about 5 miles but long enough to let me know the ST was not the ideal vehicle for towing something that big.

Ryan,

The Ranger and the ST are similar, biut not the same. The problem is the bed length. Check it out.

$20.00 says it can't be towed the right way.

Anyone want to take me up on it?

Tom

Nelson,

Fifth Wheel hitches bolt through the bed into the frame. No truck's bed is strong enough to tow any amount of weight.

Tom

I definately would not tow a fifth wheel with an ST. It's just not strong enough, and if anyone does do it, I'd be anxious to read about how it did pulling up hill. :unsure:

GM,

A Fifth Wheel tows better then any type of trailer. There isn't much difference between towing a 5th wheel weighing 5000 LBS then there is towing a conventional trailer that weighs 5000 LBS. The difference is the connection. A fifth wheel is easier to turn, easier to back-up, and it easier haul since the weight is over the wheels and not on the tongue behind the wheels.

The problem is there isn't enough room behind the cab to allow enough room for the fifth wheel to turn.

Tom

I'm pretty confident that it is going to work. This fifth wheel is all fiberglass. It weighs around 2700 lbs fully loaded. I have chatted with many folks that have them and tow with rangers. The 5er is short because it is specially made for the less than 1/2 ton trucks out there. In fact many 1/2 tons are too tall to tow this. I have seen many people on this forum that tow much more than 2700lbs in a travel trailer and seen many load their bed with much more than 400lbs of pin weight. I don't believe the clearance will be an issue as the hitch is not a fifth wheel hitch. it is a ball hitch/gooseneck set up like on a horse trailer. If you look at the picture in the previous message. The trailer actually hangs back behind the axle over the tailgate. I think I need some help from those pulling the heavy travel trailers.

If you look at this picture. The ball is mounted 1 inch in front of the rear axle, but look how far back the trailer sits. I guess maybe I should just give up, I was sure this was the perfect light weight trailer for the ST.[Broken External Image]:

Ryan,

I tow a 23' Rockwood Roo hybrid using an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch with sway control bars. My ST handles it pretty well. Take a look at the hybrids. There are many different floorplans and weights. You can probably find one to suit your needs that your ST can handle. If you want more input on hybrids, go to the forum linked below.

[Broken External Image]:

Ryan,

Mine is a 2005 Rockwood Roo 23B by Forest River. It's 23' long, and about 3400 lbs dry. I've never weighed it fully loaded, but I'd say it comes in around 4500 lbs. It does have a slide-out couch. There's a newer model for the '06 model year, the 23SS; that has a super-slide with the couch and kitchen on the slide. Had that been available when I was looking, I'd have bought the 23SS instead. Hybrids are good in that the beds are on either end of the trailer, giving you much more living space inside the main part of the trailer. There are some that even come with a rear hard slide queen bed instead of tent beds. There are many different floorplans and models, you just have to decide what best suits your needs/desires. Check out the forum I linked above, or go to the site below for more info on different makes and models of hybrids.

I also think the Airstreams are cool you might want to look at them as well.

Yes, they are cool, but they're also very expensive. The low end starts at $30,000. And there aren't too many models that are light enough for a Sport Trac to tow.