STA radio options

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Mas

Reaction score
interested in getting the STA but wondering what aftermarket radios if any work w/ sync as it comes with that option. I want to get an indash nav unit like the pioneer AVIC-Z3 which is pretty much the same thing but a decent amt cheaper but want to know if any systems work with it. also does the aux input connection in the center console also connect to any aftermarket systems. any advice would be awesome as want to strive to buy the STA but need to save as much as possible. Want to upgrade from my 2002. thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
danny,

imo, if you are going for a sta, i would order the optional nav/upgrade radio.

i have it in my 07 (w/o sync) and think it is one of the best systems.

the option cost may be near the purchase/install of the aftermarket. also, the fit/finish of the stock is much better.

on the factory nav i presume you cannot drive and technically watch dvd's at the same time. i know it is illegal but i heard that some of the am systems are able to be hacked to shut off this safety measure.

----

gary on yours do you have the pioneer or the factory nav?

doubt it, but not sure you can watch dvd's on the factory unit.

the factory radio/nav is the pioneer i think. can't check now.

either way, the factory system is great.

Actually there is a interface kit from Metra that JUST came out that allows Sync to umm...Sync with aftermarket head units.

I'm not sure what it's called but my local Audio expert called me and told me about it almost a month ago now.

I think Sync is stupid. It never works right with my Ipod. I can't tell you how many times I've given it a simple name only to have something completely wacky pop-up on the radio. I find it much faster to just select the song I want "manually." It works ok with my phone. I don't like the lack of privacy without a headset. It's also extremely annoying when I have to roll up the windows to have a phone conversation in the city. I also hate it when I'm trying to hang up the phone and turning the steering wheel at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator: