STA Reliability!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to get a threat going of any issues that anyone might have with thier 2nd generation ST...

Personally I've just passed 105,000km on my 08 STA and not a single issue to date! Still runs and rides like new.

Just passed 45,000 miles with my 08. Replaced the battery and by Spring will need tires.

No other issues - just those darn "disposable" items!

:driving:

I just got my 2008 a couple of days ago. It's a limited. It seems to me that the interior light stays on after I start the truck and even in Drive/reverse. It eventually went out. (I literally got this truck 2 days ago so I haven't had much chance to dig into this).

Is this normal? Is there a setting? I chenge the 'light delay' setting to 10 seconds, it was at 60 seconds but i would think this wouldn't affect the light while I am in rev/drive.

Not sure if it does it all of the time or only when I have the headlights on.

I will have to play some more with it.

My issues included:

1. a known issue with a squealing fan belt and after the third time complaining the Ford dealer said there was a tech note and fix for it. They fixed it under warranty. Known issue with the V6 engine on all Explorers.

2. The Sirius sat module failed last year (25,000 miles) and that was replaced under warranty

3. Got a nail in the very edge of the wide/flatPerelli tires on the STA. By law they could not repair the flat and had to replace the tire. Because this is a all-wheel drive, that means if the tires are worn they all have to be replaced in this instance. They were all within 5,000 miles of needing replacement anyway. If this happened when new and there is little wear then just the two tires would have needed to be replaced. All where drive systems require tires of equal wear or something in the transmission will fail prematurely. I checked this with the Ford dealer and two other mechanics who were quite familiar with the issue. That was at 32,000 miles.

4. Wind noise on the driver and passenger window/door seals. Known issue with all Explorers - Ford has a technical bulletin and added some item plus replaced the seals under warranty.

5. I have the light switch issue too. I found that dirt/dust gets in that switch periodically and I just play with it by turning it back and forth. It seemed to fix it by dislodging any dust in there.

Minor things...none serious at all. Love the truck. Still the best vehicle I have ever owned. My brother in Florida loved my truck so much he ordered one from my dealer and drove it home! My brother in law in Georgia feels the same and may buy a used one there.

Spoke with pop a little while ago. 5,800 trouble-free miles with his 08 V8 Adrenalin. If he ever trades it in, someone's going to get a really like new ST. Or I'll get a sweet gift. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear brake calipers rattled. TSB, and it was fixed. Fan belt was squeling on the upshifts, new belt and tensioner. Dye on the leather seat(drivers) started to wear off. No warranty, free cover, just a labor charge. Lumbar support crapped out, had to replace. No warranty. Headlight switch lost its lumination twice. On third switch now. Think thats it for now. Bob

Thanks for the advise on the interior light. I played with it a bit today and noticed that I could make the lights turn off/on by wiggling the ignition switch a little.

Bet that's gonna cost me some.. ;)

I have a 2008 STA with 40k miles now. I had an issue for about two months and three visits to the dealer where the Trac would die and the check engine light comes on. It threw about ten codes. It is fine now but I think the dealer caused the issue when they wanted to clean my injectors on one of the oil changes I had it in for. (The oil is free just pay for the filter). I have an after market intake that uses the bolt on the valve cover for support. After they changed the main computer and now the main harness I happen to look under the hood and saw that they did not put the intake back in correctly. They just bent the braket to get it to stay low enough to close the hood. I think the braket then rested on the harness and damaged it. I had to use a hammer to get it back in the shape it needed to be and got it back installed and have had no issues since. I was soooo close to getting rid of this trac that I love.

I had a blow out of a rear tire at 24k. I just replaced both rear tires. Do you really havde to replace all 4? I saw that in another post. I have no issues.

Got my '08 new.

I had the squealing belt also. Fixed on warranty as per TSB.

A power window switch crapped out after about a year. Fixed on warranty.

Last spring the alternator crapped out. Got a new one on warranty.

New front brakes and rotors for state inspection last September.

No other problems. One of the more trouble-free vehicles I've owned.