Stalling Returned!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well My ST was running great for the past week since the TB/Intake cleaner... But last night, she stalled out quite a few times coming to a light...

Obviously this is something to do with the intake system, any ideas anyone? Cant be dirty enuff to stall within a week can it?!

Im kinda thinking now its my TB getting stuck, or the IAC is getting stuck... how do I narrow this down?

Thanks ;(

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you not already replace the IAC with a new unit to no avail?

I think you may want to take RichardL's advise on this one before it "nickel and dimes" you to death.

If you haven't replaced the IAC motor, that would be my next step. You've cleaned just about everything that people have suggested. I would also make sure that your idle speed isn't set to low.

I did some researsh on the site and found that if your idle speed is to low you could run into problems if you have a large electrical draw. That was stated on ToddZ's underdrive pully post/project. Make sure that your idle speed is no less than 675 rpm (from Phil Frady's idel speed project).

I say replace the IAC and PCV valve, then double check the elbow hose for cracking...

ALSO this zip tie I had to install on my 03, found the hose was not a tight fit and my 04 has a clamp on there from the factory!!!!!

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Also try the DPFE Sensor. I had a problem with pulsing and stalling and a check engine light. I had the infamous cracked elbow problem and the DPFE sensor go on me.

Good luck.

Paul H

I am thinking its the IAC vavle. Its the most logical, and it wouldnt really throw a CEL if it wasnt completely malfunctioning.

They want $!70 here for it, this sounds high, is it cheaper anywhere else?

Email Rich Stern to see if you can get a hold of Rusty who was a site sponsor and a good source of discounted OEM parts. The reason I mentioned the engine idle rpm is because when we were in Dallas in '05 someone (to remain nameless at this time) used our Xcal 2 to set the engine idle rpm down, and it would cut out intermitently so we set it up a little higher but don't recall what it is now with out going out and hooking it up.

Well, im totally pissed now!

I spent the money and changed out the IAC yesterday. Did not solve the problem.

I just have no idea now, mechanic cant figure it out, WE here cant figure it out.

The part that gets me is it stalling only when im on the brakes coming to a stop, and only periodically. It's so strange.

Any other suggetions?

Does it do it when it is hot? Does it do it when it is cold? Does it matter the temperature?

I think you have a vacuum leak. It could be in the intake manifold. Either a cracked intake manifold or a gasket.

You can confirm that with a propane torch.

Tom

Only when hot, and only when braking.

I changed the PCV, EGR, Vacuum line (Entire).

I light up the engine on fire, then call the insurance company? Is that what you're getting at? hahaha.

Enlighten me about the torch test.

I checked the engine over several hundred thousand times. I dont see anything wrong with the booster hose, but it does come off fairly easy.... Wonder if I zip tie the end on there if it will help... possibly when hot under the hood its loosening quite a bit.

All I know is after I narrow this down I shouldnt have to replace any other parts for a long long time, lol.

With a torch, you turn the gas on without a flame. While the engine is running, put the tip around all the vacuum hoses and intake gaskets. If there is a leak, the engine idle will either smooth out or even rev up. If you find a problem like that, you search around to locate a possible area where it could be and then fix that problem.

I wish you lived closer to me. I would love to help you find the problem.

Tom

I've also used carb cleaner to do the 'torch' test. It will change the engine speed when it goes into a vacuum leak. When you're done, it's all evaporated. This is just in case you don't have a propane torch.

I wish you were here too Caymen, feel like coming to Canada? Lol.

So what if the problem is only there when im coming to a stop? I cant really do these tests at that point in time, unless Caymen wants to sit under the hood while I rip around town coming to stops ;)

Ill give it a try... The brake booster line does come off fairly easy, I can check into that. I am starting to think this stalling happened AFTER I did the seafoam, but then again I think it didnt and thats why I did the seafoam...

Wish me and my wallet luck! :)

Thanks guys.

XST, I would check the barake booster line for a leak. Mine even after the SeaFoam treatment was tough to get back on. The stalling during brakeing is what's making me think that would be a good place to start.;)