Stalling Solved: Total Embarassment, lol.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, as most of you know ive been stressed to the max about my ST stalling, even had thoughts on cheating on the girl.

Well, I have to say I have a little more respect for Ford since the help I got from the man at the parts counter, Paul @ Marlborough Ford in Calgary. I went on a whim of changing the IAC out, actually the mechanic suggested it. I went in, asked for the part and somewhere along the way we got discussing my problem. He even came out and checked it out (mainly so he could have a cigarette :)) The IAC is actually $170CAD here for the one I need, amazing. He had reconfirmed my suspicion about not being able to return electrical parts, and said before I do this, try this intake cleaner that he had. I beleive its called BP Intake and Throttlebody cleaner. I thought well, for $9.00 that it costs me i'll try it out, since I didnt really wanna spend $170 for a stab in the dark.

He comes out, shows me what I should do with it, and sent me on my way, he was very awesome, nice to talk to, and not shunning me for the mods to the engine like thier mechanics always do.

Anyways, I didnt think this was going to solve anything, I did to the Seafoam, didnt help. I even took apart my intake and filter, etc, and cleaned it all with a rag. What I DIDNT ever do was spray this stuff inside past the throttlebody. I wasnt even sure I was supposed to do something like this.

Anyways, I ran almost 3/4 of the bottle in there, kept it running, went for a 3hr drive, didnt stall once. The power is back, idles better all around, and sounds healthier in general.

Im pretty embarrassed, because this was the first thing I ever did, with the seafoam, etc, but this didnt help out at all. Eventually as RichardL says I turned into a hypochondriac. Swapping out a couple parts, nothing major, as I said it can be labelled preventative maintenance. Vacuum elbow, etc.

I guess the worst part is the embrarrassment, and the $400 Ipod I lost at the Tranny shop.

Thanks all for your help everyone. Im sorry for wasting some peoples time. I will keep you posted, but she was running so sweet last night I think this has solved my issue.

Let me have it, I so deserve it, lol.

Dont feel alone..I spent almost $500 on a 2.5L dodge shadow one time. The computer never did throw a code. It kept acting like it was running out of gas. In the end I ran into an article about that motor being hard on O2 sensors. $32 dollars and 2months later it fixed it...s..t happens.. Glad you got it going. It can be money and time but there is also a learning, that you can help others...:D

XST,

We have all done stupid things, or ignored the obvious. Cleaning the IAC and Trottlebody are usually the fist steps to solve a rough idle or stalling problem. When you said you cleaned the IAC an intake, I assumed you had also cleaned the throttlebody.

So in total, how much did your nine dollar problem end up costing you? Aside from the money, I'm sure it was a lesson well learned.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I've learned several lessons that way working on cars, computers, my house, etc. However, I always figure that this is just a part of life's tuition.

Well, I did clean the throttlebody... I cleaned it very well, took it off, etc.

What I didnt do is get anything clean past the throttlebody, inside. This is apparently where it was a mess and needed to be cleaned.

The cost of this mess? Well

Stolen Ipod: $400.00

EGR Valve: $120.00

Vacuum Elbow & Tube: $20.00

PCV Valve: $40.00

Fuel Filter: $20.00

Honestly I wasnt spending a big buck on things. The ipod being stolen can be chaulked up to me having a tranny service done, and finding out my brake like burst because of my swaybar. I would have had to do this anyways.

EGR & PCV Valve was not required, but it was relatively innexpensive.

Fuel Filter needed to be replaced anyway, it was pretty dirty gas coming outta there.

Vacuum Elbow & Tubing was preventative maintenance, and was showing some signs of wear, so I have peice of mind with that ;)

I guess honestly I "wasted" $160.00, but I would assume if a mechanic couldnt figure this out and ran diagnostics, etc it would have cost me a lot more than this.

Glad it is fixed....

Sounds like something was holding the TB valve open or from closing all the way, or there was some dirt on something causing your issue....

I all ways recommend when you install my TB that you spray a towel and wipe out the upper intake the best you can...

Todd Z

Thanks!

The weather has gotten really nice here, I polished my wheels last night and they are all sparkly ;) I am gunna go for a good long drive tonight, listen to my tunes, and my new ipod, and finally spend a nice relaxing evening with the GF(ST) ;)

Dude, no need to be embarassed. I have fallen into the same rut a few times. You get frustrated when noone else can get the problem to happen and then all hell breaks loose in your head. Glad you got it fixed. Now you get to relax and enjoy the ST again.;)

Glad to hear things are worked out.. I appretiate you posting about it because I learned something I didn't know... Thats what we're here for right??

Keep on Trac'n!

Just think... less maintinence to do further down the road. We all do stupid things. Its a huge learning curve. But you know more about the ST now than before.

I love this truck, problems or no problems. It fits me to a T!

Big Al

Great news XST!

I don't know if this would be my problem tho.. My trac still wants to stall in reverse, but I have noticed is that it doesn't stall first thing in the morning.. so I'm guessing when its cold out.. but after my 15-20 minute drive to work and then putting it in reverse to park it wants to stall..... so I'm guessing it is a temperature issue possibly?

I could definitely try this intake/throttle body cleaner out... I've done this before but a couple years ago...

is it a special cleaner from ford or can i use any throttle body cleaner from the local auto parts store?

Id give it a try Adam, seriously. I cant even imagine why this was my problem either, since it was only happening during braking, and when it was warm, but it looks like it WAS the problem.

$10.00 and about 15 mins of your time to see, plus if it isnt the issue, you have a clean intake.

I used the Seaform, and some stuff I got from Partsource, they didnt do anything fo me really, this stuff seems to have been a better choice, but I did it properly this time too, so try it out.

So I can pick it up at my local ford dealer? what is it called? and what were the procedures?

I know usually u have to take the intake tube off and spray directly into the throttle body on the typical ones.. anything special with this one?

No wonder Ford is going broke when they have parts guys telling people they don't need a $170 part, only a $9 can of spray. :rolleyes:

I picked one up... did the cleaning and changed the air filter... :( still doesn't help..

It's quite strange that no one has ever heard of this problem..

I've noticed these things.. my rpm's in drive idles around 600rpm, in neutral it is about 1000rpms and in reverse it sits around 600rpm... i threw it into reverse and the rpms dip up and down between 650rpm and 200 rpm... after a while with the brake on it eventually stalls..

I tried it again and this time i gave it gas and tried to reverse fast... it goes, but the rpms don't go above 1200rpms.. I probably hit close to 20kph in reverse but the rpms just don't go up.. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA AT ALL?!?!? :wacko::blink:

3/4 of a bottle into where? Your very appreciative for everyones help, can you be a little less vague as to what your fix was. I have a rough idle also, so I'd really like to know exactly what you did in detail so I and others might try the fix.:)