Starter Button Project

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
Someone asked me this a while ago since I didn't add it to my project page-

If anyone wants to do my starter button project, I just found out that www.truckperformance.com sells them. You should be able to use any momentary switch since it's on a relay, but they do sell the Ignited buttons.

Larry, debate going on here. Starter button is for show only. I thought it had something to do with not damaging the gears on the starter but im being told im full of it, which is very likely,:p Verdict please......................

When you turn the key to start the truck, all you're really doing is making a eletrical circuit through a momentary switch via the ignition switch. This project simply removes the starting circuit from the ignition switch and just adds a seperate switch that you have to press. Certian stock cars, the S2000 and some Benz's have this as stock, and race cars have something similar.

Does this starter button wiring by-pass the ""Park position safety interlock?

Stated another way: Can you start the engine while the vehicle is in Drive or Reverse?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Toyotas and Lexus models you don't even need to insert the key... just carry the key on your person, then press the 'start' button to start the engine.... now that's cool!

Rich,

that would depend on how you wire it. If you use the existing wires from the ignition lock, then the neutral safety switch would still be present. The starter button is nothing more than a new replacement ignition switch.

You could however, wire in a separate starting circuit, bypassing the original. It would then be inneffective, but you would have a back up system, the original.

grump

Whats the point. You still have to turn the key either way. If you feel like blowing money, just save it and send it to me:D

The way I wired it (see project) It doesn't bypass any of the safety features. I want to say it doesn't bypass the Securilock function either, but I have no way to back that up since all my keys are encoded.

Ted- turn the key to the on position, and push the button to engage the starter, and release it once the engine's running. I had some trial and error, when I first wired up the lightbulb in the button, I accidently made it to where the starter stayed engaged, not good. But I fixed that quickly.

Kale, It's just something a little differant. Something other than stock. Plus it's a good conversation piece when my co-workers ride with me to lunch. :D

[Broken External Image]:

Most cars from the 50s and on back had a seperate starter button that you had to push after turning the ignition key to "On".

What is the purpose of going backwards, technologically?

David<><

I've been thinking about doing this for my '90 Probe. The ignition switch is severely worn. I've been having to wiggle the key around a lot and pray that it fires. If I had the starter button that would be an easy fix as compared to swapping out the entire ignition switch.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts