starter motor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Shelley

Reaction score
Trying to replace the starter motor on my 2001 4X4 St. Got the starter loose but no way to drop it out of there. Has anyone been here before. It appears the front differential is in the way of getting the starter out.

any help is appreciated.

Did you raise and support vehicle?

If so and you still dont have the room..

...can you seperate the externally mounted solenoid from the starter motor and bring it out in two pieces?

You know I was looking at that on my 03 one day.... IT looks like the front diff housing has to be taking down, OR the steering rack...

Hopefully some on has a manual and they can post the way Ford thinks it should be done..

I am not home Or I would look it up for you...

Todd Z

The 2003 manual makes no reference to four wheel drive.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

2. Raise and support the vehicle.

3. Remove the starter motor solenoid terminal cover.

4. Disconnect the starter wires.

5. Remove the nut and the starter ground cable.

6. Remove the bolt, the stud and the starter motor.

7. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

The Ford manual is USELESS..... Has 3 steps.... Disconnect battery, Remove starter and re install...

What a joke !!

Todd Z

Funny this is posted today, because I am suspecting that my starter is going as well. I also looked underneath the truck and it is VERY tight.. I didnt go as far as to loosen the bolts, but getting it out of there looks to be very difficult. :(

PDF of removal procedures for 2004 posted in my library (only have access to 04/05 model years). I don't know if it will help with the '01...I'll leave it up for a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. Todd was right the manual is totally useless in this instance.

For a 4X4 the front differential hangs right below the starter. However, by removing a dampner (looks like two oversized hockey pucks bolted to a steel bracket) and sliding it back along the front driveshaft just barely enough clearance was created to drop out the starter. I will try to write this up as a project. Again thanks for the input.

That's what my factory workshop manual says to do...move the damper...what manual isn't providing that direction?

Last edited by a moderator: