Steering/Handling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor CAD

Reaction score
Just got back from a 500 mile all interstate trip.

I haven't driven at speed for lots of miles in nearly a year. I noticed a vague, almost boat-like feel to the Trac on the highway. I suspect that the front suspension or steering gear is going bad.

What are the parts that I should be replacing? I know everyone recommends the Moog stuff and a new sway bar. Will those 2 do the trick or is there more?

Any part numbers and good place to order them would be nice, although I do have a few parts stores in my small town.

I am off work until January 4th, so I would love to do this quickly.

Thanks

The first thing that I would look at is the tires. After that, how many miles and how hard have you worked the shocks. Have someone move the steering wheel side to side while you are under the truck and check for any loose connections. Tie rods, rubber bushings, steering dampeners all wear in time and use.

Merry Christmass Ed

How much of a load were you carrying? I do know that when you have a load in the rear, whether it is a car or truck, the front end is lifted slightly therefore the boat like feel. I recommend at least Monroe Reflex shocks all around. I do agree with what Ed has said above.

Tires are good, Reflex shocks a year ago.

No load except me and the wife (me 200 and the wife 110*).

I guess its time for a front end inspection.

*Only a guess, you know how the weight thing goes.

Last edited by a moderator: