Steering shudder

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Capps

Reaction score
If im parked or very low speed steering my steering seems to shudder and vibrate. Any ideas? THe fluid is perfect level, so i know that isnt it? My buddy seems to think the cooler for it may be clogged and not getting anough pressure through the system for teh rack to function properly?:(

Tim, there were some issues of air in the system that needed purging. At the turn stops the 4X4 will get some binding. Is this at the extreme positions of the wheel travel or anywhere of of center?

Mine does it too. (2001 4x4)

Funny, not as bad now that I have installed the Underdrive pully (which in effect slows the pump down) , but it is still there.

I was just getting ready to troubleshoot this in the next few weeks......

cheers,

Andy

There is an updated High pressure pump that is installed for steering shudder.

Mine did the same thing, the dealer found a TSB that tells them to upgrade the truck to the new pump. Mine went away since then.

If your out of warranty, You can install the pump your self..

Todd Z

Good to know Todd, thanks.

Saves me some time. But now if I want it gone, at 85K, I am doing it myself :(

cheers,

Andy

Is the shudder you guys are referring to happening while the vehicle is stopped? When I am stopped and cut the wheel to the left or right it seems like the steering wheel/tires are bouncing.

Last time I was in at ford they said they greased the linkage but it still does it. Would this high pressure pump be my solution?

Thats what mine is like.....stopped and low speed.......

Me thinks it's the pump...esp since Ford has a TSB on it.....

cheers,

Andy

Yup, BUT you must tell the dealer you are feeling a steering shudder at low speeds or stopped. Tell them there is a TSB on this..

It is sad you have to use the exact terms or they will not fix.

Todd Z

Thanks again Todd Z. I'm going in soon for a few warranty issues and that'll be included. It seems that they sorta blow off TSB's.

I've taken in my 04 to the dealership several times regarding this. I think I was told "it was normal" and "could not replicate". I was also told the lines were bled and finally I was told there was a leaky seal and was fixed under warranty. I thought it had gone away completely (it occured rarely to begin with) but I get slight vibrations once in a blue moon, during tight parking. Soon I'll be taking the Trac to the home dealership for some maintenance (that I cannot perform myself) and I'll bring this up again but mentioning the TSB. BTW I have nearly 26K miles and the vibration occured when I took delivery.

The pump they install is the standard 4 door Explorer pump. It has a higher output then the Trac. Fits perfectly. Had mine changed out by Ford, ran the numbers after the fact to find out where it came from...

My 04 ST did it the night that I purchased the vehicle. I thought the engine was going to stall and had it been a manual I would have feathered the gas. Does it the most as I back (and turn) out of the garage. I'm disappointed with Ford.

FORD: 2001-2003 Explorer Sport

2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

This article supersedes TSB 04-2-7 to update the vehicle model years and service procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac and 2001-2003 Explorer Sport vehicles may exhibit a steering wheel shudder during low-speed turning maneuvers. This may be due to the interaction between the tire and the road surface, which is amplified through the steering system. The condition will vary according to ambient temperature, road surface friction, and steering wheel turning speed.

ACTION:

As design changes have taken place in the steering system, it is important to note the VEHICLE BUILD DATE and follow the appropriate steps outlined in the following Service Procedure. Perform a thorough evacuation of air from the power steering system after replacement/installation of parts.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: BEFORE REPLACING ANY COMPONENT, BE SURE TO CLEAN ALL AREAS WHERE DIRT INGESTION COULD OCCUR. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN SYSTEM CONTAMINATION AND NOISE.

NOTE: THE STEERING SHUDDER WILL NOT BE CORRECTED UNLESS THE SYSTEM IS PURGED OF AIR WITH A VACUUM AT THE RESERVOIR. FILL AND PURGE THE P/S SYSTEM FOLLOWING THE PROCEDURES CALLED OUT IN THE ON-LINE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 211-00. FOLLOWING THE EVACUATION PROCEDURE WILL REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED TO CORRECT THE SHUDDER.

NOTE: PRIOR TO PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE, PERFORM THE DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING DESCRIBED IN THE APPROPRIATE WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 211-00 TO CONFIRM THAT ALL OTHER SYSTEM ISSUES HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED AND RESOLVED.

VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO APRIL 18, 2001

Replace the power steering pump with a new high displacement pump (5L2Z-3A674-CA). Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-02.

Replace the cooler assembly with service part F77Z-3D746-GA. Do not remove the existing cooler return line (hose attached to the gear outlet port) it will be reused to ease installation. Attach a clamp to the cooler return line to reduce fluid loss during removal of the cooler. Disconnect the existing cooler fin pack from the cooler return line by releasing the constant tension clamp. Remove the new return line from the new cooler and connect the new cooler fin pack to the existing return line. Re-secure the constant tension clamp. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-02 for complete replacement instructions.

Disconnect the power steering pressure line from the gear pressure port to allow replacement of the check valve. DO NOT ATTACH A CLAMP TO THE POWER STEERING PRESSURE HOSE AS IT MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TUNING CABLE INSIDE THE HOSE. Attach a clamp to the COOLER RETURN LINE to reduce fluid loss from the gear during removal of the pressure line. Loosen the nut securing the power steering pressure hose to the gear inlet and detach it from the gear. REPLACE THE O-RING (388897-S) ON THE POWER STEERING PRESSURE HOSE NUT. USE ROTUNDA TOOL 211-D-027 OR EQUIVALENT TO SIZE THE O-RING. ANY OTHER METHOD OF INSTALLATION WILL DEFORM IT, MAKING IT INEFFECTIVE.

Replace the check valve located in the steering gear pressure side inlet port with a no-hole check valve (E6DZ-3N603-A). This new check valve has a spring-loaded closure allowing flow in only one direction, without the bleeder hole. Using a pick tool, remove the clip retaining the check valve in the gear inlet. Then, using the pick, remove the check valve from the port. Install the no-hole check valve WITH THE OPEN SIDE DOWNWARD into the pressure side inlet of gear (Figures 1 and 2). Reattach the power steering pressure hose to the inlet of the steering gear.

Fill and purge the P/S system following the procedures in the on-line Workshop Manual Section 211-00.

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using WDS release B28.5 or higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

Latest posts