Steering Wheel - Gen 1 - gray

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John G

Reaction score
F87Z3600FAC Steering wheel, explorer, mountaineer -- Graphite(gray) color leather

It is item #2 in the image

[Broken External Image]:

Mine was removed from a model-year 2001. Ford says it will also fit 2002.

These steering wheels tend to develop lumpiness in the padding under the leather, and the surface of the leather itself tends to go bad.

A new replacement is $386 MSRP, or discount price from this site's sponsor it is $324.74, plus shipping. I bought a new one, and now I'm offering my old one for sale.

The steering wheel for sale has only 44k miles on it (I'm a low-mileage driver, just a few miles to work each day). The padding under the leather is developing lumps in the upper third (between the 10-O'Clock and 2-O'Clock positions, but it is okay in the lower parts (i.e., okay if you hold your wheel in the 3 and 9 O'clock positions or lower). The surface of the leather is starting to show wear in the same upper parts.

By no means is this steering wheel a pristine substitute for a new one. But if yours is really yucky, and you tend to hold the wheel in the lower half, then this might save you a lot of money.

$40 plus $12 shipping to CONUS. Paypal.

email me at j-o-h-n-g-o-r-e-e-AT-y-a-h-o-o-REMOVEME.COM-and-remove-the-dashes

Instructions for replacing the steering wheel can be found in the project section. Once you have the right tools, including a 2-jawed steering-wheel-puller borrowed from an autoparts store, it does not take long to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
As requested, here are pics!

I've zoomed in on the worst parts, using lighting that brings out the worst parts as much as possible.

Overall view of front:

[Broken External Image]:

Front view of top of wheel (note the lumpiness in the padding under the leather):

[Broken External Image]:

Rear view of the top of the wheel. Some lumpiness is visible especially on the left of this photo:

[Broken External Image]:

Top view of the top of the wheel. Here you can see the lumpiness in the padding as well as some wear of the leather surface:

[Broken External Image]:

Okay, that's the worst parts. Now some other parts:

Lower part of wheel, front view:

[Broken External Image]:

Lower part of wheel, back view:

[Broken External Image]:

Center of wheel:

[Broken External Image]: