steering wheel looks like s**t

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Klok

Reaction score
can anyone help me with this problem? The steering wheel in my 02 ST looks terrible, it looks like it is driven everyday with greasy hands and I have tried to clean it but does not want to come clean. A while back I seen a post on here about someone else having the same problem and the local dealership replaced it either for free or for a minimal charge. Anyone else with this problem????? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mine too (on an '01). I tried many things before; with not much results. I would say warm soapy water (mild soap) and a lot of elbow grease (which most people have in pack of 2).

I now use one of those steering wheel cover (not a leather strap; the pre-formed thing with little studs on it) that you can buy at Wally Mart for 10$. It hides most of it; has a better grip; but it's still there!

There is a TSB if you're under warranty (see below). I had mine replaced last summer as mine looked like yours sounds. They actually replace the entire steering wheel. I had a 75k warranty given to me, since the dealership screwed up on my transmission 3 times and I could've pursued my vehicle violating the lemon law. Anway - if it's under warranty, it'll probably be a $50 deductible, otherwise, the cost is on you. Mine is an 02, as well.

Make: FORD

Model: EXPLORER SPORT

Year: 2002

Type: MULTIPURPOSE PASSENGER VEHICLE

Service Bulletin Number: 15769

NHTSA Item Number: 637460

Summary Description:

SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A CONDITION OF STEERING WHEEL LEATHER PEELING. *TT

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford refused to replace mine under warranty (33,000 miles at the time) when I pointed out that it was *starting* to show signs of wear. They said it was normal and dismissed it. Now, mine looks like crap too. I did however get some of the foaming leather cleaner from motorcraft and it seams to work pretty well with getting into the grooves of the cover and getting the black splotchiness off.

Wost comes to worst you can always get a GRANT STYLING RING. They are higher quality than your normal steering wheel cover, they come in many finishes and they can also be painted. Thats probably the way I'll go as I am having a hard time figuring out what to do with my cruise control if I replace my steering wheel with an aftermarket one. Think I might buy one and paint it the same color as my exterior (silver frost).

Dallas

Jenn...you probably got "denied" because they referred to it as normal wear and tear. That's a bunch of crap, if you ask me. I wish I had a picture to post for everyone. You could try another dealer. I was getting peeling leather boogers. It was nasty. It happened a lot more when it was humid (obviously) so if you think it's bad now...wait until it gets hot and humid.

peeling leather boogers

:lol::lol::lol:

hefhay, that is exactly why they wouldn't fix/replace it --> normal wear and tear. It's only in one spot, the 10 o'clock position (left hand). However, I don't have the peeling leather boogers. Mine actually looks like worn leather. I think they changed the materials they used in the '03's and up. If I clean it with ANY abbraisive product or material, it scratches and reveals a black base (almost as if the grey coloring was painted on). But the indentations of the leather are also worn down and hold in this thick black ickiness that is a B*&^H to clean.

I'll try to take a picture this weekend.

Ditto on the steering wheel. This and the radio/ac control bezel are the only two pieces of my interior that look like crap. If it were "normal wear & tear" wouldn't the rest of my interior parts match? The steering wheel I ended up just getting a cover like the others. It was the same as described above. Looked like I drive it everyday with grease caked hands. I finally got a cover when it started producing the sticky gunk or "leather boogers". I do not have extended warranty.

Jenn..my '04 steering wheel is looking worn and dirty also. I dont think they changed the leather quality..It looks as if the under color is black and the gray die is wearing off..

I only have 6k miles on the trac, cause we have 3 vehicles between the two of us.

Ford did replace my 01 and my 03. My 03 was just starting to wear when the Cruise switch failed. So they simply replaced both at the same time...

Stay away from Grant! I orderd a silver cover for my trac thinking it would match the silver bezel well...the color did match but what a piece of crap! First off it only goes around half of the steering wheel so its quite obvious its a cover and uncomfortable to put your hands on when you grip the wheel. Second of all for the $50+ price tag they get you'll be shocked on how cheap/flimsy the thing feels...should only cost about $10...instead I ordered a wheelskin instead...very good quality and fit and no problems with peeling like our stock covers! Wheelskins may actually be worth the cost and look great too!

Latest posts