steering wheel replacement part

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John G

Reaction score
I'd like to order a replacement steering wheel for my 2001 ST, because the padding behind the leather is getting lumpy.

There are several online sellers of Ford body parts that all have nearly identical websites. Here's one: http://www.directfordparts.com

I find this item:

[Broken External Image]:

Does item #2 look like the right part for me?

Its description and price, from that website:

Description MSRP Price Your Price

Collision Catalog - 2001 - Ford - Explorer sport Trac

Steering wheel, Steering wheel and trim, Steering wheel, W/tilt, Graphite $348.00 $247.01

FWIW, I've got a gray interior, and I've searched previous posts on this site where I've found instructions for pulling the wheel. I'm okay with the replacement procedure -- I just want to make sure that I've identified the correct part.

Last edited by a moderator:
fwiw, for the procedure to pull the wheel, I found this posted by Todd Z 4/4/2008, which looks very helpful (although it didn't mention what replacement part to buy):

Dave you do need a special steering wheel puller( can be rented or purchased cheep).... Other then that it is not that hard...

I did a writeup on it, Not a project...

Quote:

1) disconnect the battery 1/2 hour before... Turn on lights and stuff to remove any stored energy.

2) on the side of the steering wheel there are 2 round plastic covers. Using a small flat head pop the covers out.

3) using a 8mm nut driver or ratchet and socket, Remove the 2 screws.

4) the horn button/airbag and cover are all 1 piece. Pull it toward you.

5) ON TOP of the air bag, NOT THE CLIP ON THE WHITE DISK!!!, Unclip the airbag. My clip was directly on top of the airbag and it was Grey in color...

6) the clip for the wires for the CC buttons is a small flat black clip that goes into the white disk (clock spring) Just un clip that.

8) Take off the nut holdiog the wheel on making note of the way the wheel is facing ad sitting

9) use the oulley to remove the wheel.. It is tight and make a loud pop when it pops free

Simply replace in reverse order...

Make the 8mm nuts tight, Don't go crazy.

the horn button will move as you tighten the bolts, this is ok...

connect the battery...

That is the correct part,

I also strongly urge you to contact Torrie for the part, he is a site sponsor..

Todd Z

I may have to do the same thing on my 2003. The upper third of the wheel is getting so loose that I have to rotate it back to straight pretty often. It does get annoying.