Step bar question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, And they are the ones with the better brackets also...

Todd Z

Todd...why do you say the '01 brackets are better..I can jump up and down on my '04 steps..they dont give..I weigh 200lbs..my wifes escape has the '01 brackets and they are flimsy,,

Ed,

The escape and ST are not the same vehicle let alone the same side steps..

The 01-02 ST side step brackets ARE better quality and stronger than the 03-05. Do a search, this has been discussed thousands of time here and most members feel the same way. Ford changed the brackets on the 03-05 and they are not as strong.

You cant compare the Escape side steps to the ST. IF you had an 01 ST and an 04 St, then you could.

Todd Z

The '01 esape has the exact same bracket as the earlier tracs..I have compared them with a nieghbors trac...I would bet the bolt holes even line up...The step bar is different..

Fully agree with what Todd Z said, the trick isn't to jump up and down on them, it is to hang up the ST (going through a ditch etc.) so that the step bars and holding up the truck, the 01 style could hold up the truck, the later style like I had on the 03 would bend up and my step bars would be even with my cladding.

If you plan on running through ditches and what not I wouldnt have them anyway..The only reason I dont take them off is my wife is 5' tall..I think they look like a sore thumb anyway...:lol:

Do they make a step bar that doesnt stick out so much? I originally wanted to get them, but I didnt like how far they stuck out..... I like those ones on BMW's I think it was that kinda wrap up the side of the vehicle... are those available for an 01ST?

Ford offers molded running boards. They attach to the bottom of the side cladding and don't stick out as far as the step bars. Here's some information from Rusty's site (fordpartsfast.com)

Part Number - 1L2Z-16450-BAD* / Part Name - AB Running Boards, Molded, Medium Titanium (acrawha)/ List Price - $345.00 / Delivered Price - $310.50

This is Michelle's ST.

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts