stereo problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an ''04'' S.T. with the factory stereo,the one that holds 6 c.d.'s. anytime I try to play any of them the stereo always skips.It usually takes 2 to 3 trys before it won't skip.I know its not the c.d. because I've bought new ones fresh from the music store.I have about 40k on the truck now, so the warranty is up. Opinions? Do I take it to the dealership and pay to have them take it out & send it out for repairs? Or should I go to a stereo shop & just purchase a new sound system? What is it with Ford stereo systems? I had an ''89'' Bronco II with a stereo problem too & also had a ''94'' Merc. cougar XR-7 that the volume would just go up all by itself so you couldn't even sit in the car for a minute. Is it Fords stereos or is it my rotten luck? Jerry:unsure:

Have you tried running a lens cleaner through it? If it doesn't help, I'd just get a new aftermarket one since normally the cost to get the original one repaired is about the same price as a new aftermarket one.;)

Walmart sells what is called a "CD Laser Lens Cleaner". It looks just like a CD except it has little brushes on the bottom side that when it spins, it takes the dust off the lens.;)

Also, I read my post and I wasn't very spacific. The "aftermarket one" I was talking about is an "aftermarket stereo" not an "aftermarket lens cleaner". Sorry about that.;)

Thats okay I knew what you meant.Thanks much for the lens cleaner advice. I'll get one this weekend & give it a try. I really don't want to change the stereo if I don't have to, I actually like the factory system. Thank you again!

Need a BFH ????

Seems to work well...

Todd Z