Stereo question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so i finally finished installing everything for my stereo and here are my problems. The box i built doesnt have nearly enough airspace so tomorrow after my test im headed to lowes to get the tools to fiberglass a box and then hopefully lay out a first layer. Secondly when im changing songs theres a lot of background noise coming through the speakers. What can be done to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm...its an aftermarket cd player. Its the Pioneer AVIC-N1. I think I have a good ground. I ran 8 guage wire from both amps to a distribution block and then 4 guage to a spot where i bolted it to the floor. I havnt tried with any other cd's so ill give it a shot tomorrow on my way to class. Ive been sitting here contemplating whether or not to take it all out and just fiberglass the rear area so ill have more airspace for the sub. Anyway if yall could help me figure out this background noise problem i would appreciate it. You dont hear it when songs are playing. Only when changing tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I dont have a digital multimeter. Unfortunately being at school my tool selection is extremely limited. In fact the more I think about the fiberglassing project the more i realize that I'm just going to have to wait another month until school is finished and I can get home to the garage.

well my html skills are lacking tonight so copy and paste these to see what I'm talking about....

How-To Set Gains Properly

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63933

Cheap DMM from RadioShack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104114&cp=&kw=multimeter&parentPage=search

Last edited by a moderator:
The sub is a 10" Boston Acoustic G5. It has a mounting depth of 6 3/4"s. (it was a xmas present...wish i had gotten something with much smaller mounting depth but cant really complain.) It calls for .5 cubic feet of space but with the box I have it getting only about .4 cubic feet. Since I had to build it on my balcony with a jigsaw its not nearly as nice as I would like. N e way I'm thinkn if i fiberglass it I can get a little more airspace out of it b/c I can take advantage of all the space behind the driver side rear seat. I gutted and recarpeted the back of the seat to allow for more mounting depth so that the seat will sit all the way back in a locked position even with the box behind it. For now what I have will just have to do I reckon.

How much mounting depth did you gain? I can use Probox and get you a cut sheet by using the dimensions. I did a dual 8" enclosure recently, no mods to the seats. My dimensions were 36" wide, 9.25" high, 7" bottom depth, 3.5" top depth (see recent post by searching "stereo project"). Just let me know if you want the cut sheet, the program came in handy when I built my box last weekend.

are you running an aftermarket deck and speakers, cause if you ran your speaker cables on the same side as your power/ground than you will get interference.

If I were to run you some measurements do you think you could use that software to see if I can get a bigger box out of wood back there? Thanks

And I do have two of the speakers run on the same side as the power wire.....I didnt see anyway around doing this. If you think that will help I can buy some more wire and just extend them longer. Im going to try messing around with the gain first and then I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone for all your help.

How much for the box? Is it that one thats in your library? If so what are the specs and mounting depth on it. Might be interested just to save myself the time for now.

The background noise is most likely due to what Big D has mentioned.

Any power wires can not be close to signal wires ie: power cable running beside an RCA cable... this is almost guaranteed to cause interference and hear a buzzing noise through the speaker.

Coastiejoe is also correct. The metal on the floor is NOT a good grounding location. Ideal ground locations are points at the frame, ie: seat bolts, or to the frame itself.

Once you have those 2 figured out, then see how it sounds, if you still get the problem we can go from there ;)

As for the enclosure being too small, you can try something that many people do to make thier sub think its in a bigger enclosure. Add polyfill to the interior of the box. See how it sounds at that point before getting into the mess of fiberglass ;)