Still have a slight Rough Idle from CAI Install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
I installed my CAI about 2 weeks ago. From reading previos posts, most say they get a rough idle for a day or two until the engine gets used to the new air flow. However, when my Trac is stopped, it will rev down and rev back up (only about 500RPM maybe, but noticeably shakes the truck forward when it it revs up, almost like it is starting to stall, but never goes that far) once or twice and then is usually fine if I am stopped at the longer lights. If It is a quick stop at a stop sign, I usually don't feel it do anything and there seems to be no issue when driving down the road. Is there something I should be doing, or something I missed when I installed it? I did disconnect the negative cable on the battery and unplugged the MAF when I installed it.[Broken External Image]:

1) Clean the MAF

2) Clean the IAC

3) Clean that dirty air filter

4) Check that you don't have the damaged common PCV elbow

5)Clean that dirty motor !!!

Could not resist on the last one....

Also that is not a true CAI... it is an air intake...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd, I did clean the filter and put the recharge oil on it before the install. I'll clean out the MAF and the IAC. I replaced the PCV last summer and it is definatly not shaking as bad as it was then.

Please don't ban me from the site for having a dirty engine compartment :D

when you re-oiled the filter did you let it sit for awhile? to much of that stuff on your MAF sensor could be doing it...

If none of the above works. I see the direction your filter is turned. You maybe getting what racers call wash out from the radiator fan. It will be more notice able at low rpm. The fan throws air into that corner.

Andy, This is what I have been experimenting with. It has blocked the air from the fan and my intake temps run cooler around town. Someday I will build something more profesional.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

I've been trying to figure out a good plastic to use under the hood that would be easy to work with. I thought about buying a batter case for a boat battery, but I was going to try and stop at a junkyard and see if I could find something that would work a little better.

Honestly the above looks like one of my intakes some one modified....

If thats the case, the filter is a DRY filter, It uses NO oil at all.......

I bet you have oil on the MAF and it needs to be cleaned..

Todd Z

you don't have an air wash problem, no one else ever has, as todd eluded to, perhaps you have an underhood hygine problem

Bill, my wash out theory come from the direction the filter is turned. I had many 5.0L stang freinds with the problem. Up to the '93 model with open conicals. They built air blocks or boxes. The problem went away.

On my trac I have the front of the bucket open behind the headlight. I used my body saw and cut a hole in the iner fender. Cut the bottom out of the bucket. My city driving IAT droped from 170 to 110 degrees. I wasnt having wash out. My conical was not cross ways as adams and early stangs.

Okay. let us do a study, for those that can actually measure IATs. these numbers are reported via your OBD port.

You will need a device such as a scangauge.

granted, with an open intake, your city driving IATs may be 50 degs less, thats 5 H.P

Do you need 5 H.P in stop and go traffic?

Is my contention that a cold air intake do's not exsist, They are sold as such, but are there any numbers? show me the numbers, if the sellers of the so called cold air intakes, can show a 10 Deg lower temp, thats great, thats 1 H.P

At HWY speed your IAT will be at 100% ambiant temp, do you think it can get any lower with a so called cold air intake? I think not, ambiant temp is ambiant temp.

I realize this post will piss off the sellers of cold air intakes, but to those that sell such items, it is all smoke and mirrors, lets see some numbers, JMO

Again, I have shown my numbers ( posted them on this site) via OBD measurements from the Computer using a laptop... I even nhad a 3rd party ( member of this site and we used HIS truck as well) present to prove the numbers are real and not made up...

I have no need to argue a point I have supported my findings many times over and over..

I let the hundreds of my happy customers decide wither to buy my products and the many members that have made or modified intakes to catch cold air flow and keep the cold air..

Why should I subject my intake to a wide swing in air temps during mixed driving and city..

Plain and simple, I like my engine and it like a nice consistent air intake temp...

Jerry,

Wash with a garden hose ( NO PRESSURE) and air filter cleaner... DO NOT OIL.... Let dry in the sun....

IF you need to replace due to damage, contact me....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
has nada to do with your products todd, you have nailed me many times offline for my asking questions about your products,

Your so called cold air intake is bunk, But Buis is buis, carry on.

No bill, you never "asked" a question, you allways made your own decisions and slammed my products... And your the one slamming me and the site off the site...

So you carry on.... and keep going....

Todd Z

Sorry Todd,I have asked questions about your products, you do not like having to defend your products Todd, i have never slammed you offsite, how can you defend That.

I HAVE SLAMMED YOU OFF SITE,AND THE SITE, has never happend

But your the man.you have the power.

I have no problem defending my products, But It gets old when it is constantly brought up by the same person... Especially when I have concrete proof about things...

And how easily we forget, didn't you just send us an email complaining the site was old and antiquated and outdated.... ???

Again, I have the proof.... Would you like me to email you YOUR email back to you...

Yes, I keep them all... Even the one where you SWEAR you never talked down about my products and Just in this post you did it again...

Sorry bill, I am done arguing my points with you... Remember you brought it out publicly here so I replied that way...

I try to do it off the site but if you insist on doing it here then so be it...

Ohh and YES I am the man and I do have the power... Thats how it works.... Sorry you don't like that.

Todd Z