Stock Tires Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
Ek... unfortunately guys i have a million questions i want to ask but dont remember them till something happens while riding. So please forgive my numerous postings!

For the last month I have been HYPER annoyed by this noise that seems to be coming from my front two tires. kinda a rub/shudder noise that get faster as the truck does... not a constant noise... it comes in waves - like every tire rotation. IT IS KILLING ME! I asked a friend to ride with me and he said it was probably because the tires are cupping <- right word or not... He also stated that its common for that to happen but with the stock wrangler tires its far worse because of the quality of the tires. I have 55,000 on my 03' has this been a problem to anyone else? will a simple rotation help? or am i gonna have to bite the bullet and upgrade my tires? by the way i bought my ST used from a dealer at 25,000 miles and have no clue if those are the original tires etc... they must be though. tread is still good-- maybe another 5-10,000.

Thanks

Vince

I had the same problem with mine with just 20,000 miles. As you will soon see, ALOT of people here have had the same problem. The fix is new tires. (also get rid if the factory shocks and get a sway bar. BIG difference!)

I just dumped my stock tires at 19000. They had already started to cup. It is almost hard to believe the difference in the ride, handling and especially the road noise. It is hard to justify buying new tires when you don't really "need" them, but I was happy with the decision as soon as I started driving home from the tire shop.

Cupping is VERY common because of the cr*ppy OEM shocks, you'll need to get new shocks, tires, good balancing and alignment.

The tires are not the best, but the problem does not come from themselves.

I have 30,000 on my goodyear wranglers. I've had them 5 years now. Two tire rotations and still have the oem shocks. I have good even tread wear. Maybe I am one of the luck ones.

I am not gonna beat arounf the bush... i am as dumb as a brick when it comes to vechiles... i can drive almost anything but heck if i know what makes em work. why would new shocks and a sway bar help out with new tires? shocks are pretty sturdy and i havent a clue what a sway bar is or does! :lol: its okay u can all make fun!!! :lol: but this is how i will learn.

Thanks -- Vince

Vince, the stock shocks on the Trac are not stiff enough to dampen the suspension vibration after hitting a bump. The engineers did this in an attempt to "soften" the ride of a heavy vehicle that has truck rated springs and torsion bars. This causes the tires to break contact with the road. Over time, this bouncing effect can wear flat spots on the tires which we recognize as Cupping. Once a tire is cupped, it is trash. Rotation doesn't help. The fix for this is to install truck rated shocks and get new tires. The swaybar mentioned about is really an anti-sway bar upgrade; the Trac already has one both front and back. The upgrade, rear bar will allow you to corner faster. It has nothing to do with tire cupping.

Thanks Bill. So what you suggest is truck rated shocks + new tires and if i feel like the investment a sway bar. I don't think i need any better cornering. thats never been difficult. but i have 2 more Q's. When u say 'truck rated' shocks I'm assuming that these will cause my ride to not be as smooth, correct? and if i dont already have 'truck rated' what do i have?

Thanks -- Vince

I have the Monroe reflexes on my truck and a New set of crapyears, Just noticed they started to cup in 5 K miles....

Man these things stink !!!!

Todd Z

Fact is, the stock shocks are very weak. In fact, so weak that they can be mistaken for worn-out shocks even when brand new. The stiffness you feel when you push down on the front or rear is do to the springs. And yes, there is little rebound when you do the "shock test" as you would do with a car. But, don't be fooled, when you hit a bump or hole, the suspension oscillates and the tires do loose contact with the road surface. If you get any aftermarket shocks for your Trac, they will be truck-rated. Popular ones among the owners here are Monroe Reflex, Monroe Sensatrac, Rancho RSX as well as some others. These shocks are very firm when you try to compress them; but, on the Trac, do not make the ride stiff, they do make it noticeably more firm and controlled.

I replaced my shocks the Rancho RSX at 2,500 miles. My stock Michelans have 51,000+ miles now and no cupping or uneven wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts