Street Smart Design Cold Air W/ Pro-M 75mm Bullet MAF

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkDawn Houlahan

Reaction score
This is a Street Smart Design Cold Air kit intended for a 4.0 SOHC Ranger, but will work on the Sport Trac. We've had one installed on our '02 for going on three years with zero problems.

Here's our installation, apologies for the dirty engine:

[Broken External Image]:

The kit includes air filter/MAF support bracket, air filter to MAF adapter, stainless steel inlet tube with black rubber clamps, air filter assembly, all clamps, instructions, Pro-M 75mm Bullet flange air meter w/ calibration sheet, and carbon fiber look air filter cover assembly.

Here's a photo of the kit, all brand new parts, just opened for these pictures:

[Broken External Image]:

This kit, as shown, is no longer sold by SSD. Now you only get the stainless tube, MAF adapter, and filter. I bought this (being very happy with ours on our '02 ST) thinking I would use it someday on a Ranger I was going to buy or possibly a second Sport Trac, but I've changed my mind on my next vehicle due to a change in my office location (much longer drive to work now).

So while this has been sitting for a few years, it is all brand new! The kit will work with '01-'03 Sport Tracs for sure and possibly '04-'05, I haven't confirmed. If your inlet hose has the breather hose on the driver's side you'll have to drill the tube for it (as seen in our installation photo).

Any questions please feel free to post.

Asking $300 for everything. Thanks for looking...

Mark

Sorry, I want to keep this all together...

The MAF adapter is available from many sources. Just Google it and you'll find them for mounting the filter right on the end of the meter...

Mark

I think he was probably wanting the actual MAF meter. If he already has an intake he probably has the adapter plate. That would be an easy split, since the intake can still be used on a stock MAF as well.

Actually, I think he is referring the the support bracket and not the plastic MAF adapter OR the meter itself. He probably has a basic cold air kit with no support on the end of the tube.

Yes, separating the meter and cold air kit could be an option, but I don't think that's what he's asking about.

Mark

He was referring to the whole MAF meter itself....

( just spoke to him..LOL)

Todd Z

Have you determined if this will work with an '05?

Straight bolt on replacement or will some tweaking and fabricating be required? Is it a K&N filter? Smog check OK?

Can a somewhat mechanically challenged adult manage the install?

Sorry for all the questions, I've owned my '05 ST for less than 24 hrs. THANKS

I'm not aware of any changes made that would prevent this from fitting an 04-05, and the install is pretty easy, shouldn't take more than an hour. It won't cause emissions problems, but I don't think they have a CARB # if you're in Cali.

Dan's right, no concerns with the MIL/check engine light but it is not CARB approved, so if your location does an underhood inspection with the smog check it might raise an eyebrow without an exemption sticker...

You'd probably have to drill the extra hole in the inlet tube like we did for the breather hose (see photo above on driver's side near throttle body) but otherwise it should work. Now the mass air meter itself I'm not 100% sure. The box says 2002 Explorer 4.0, and the '05 might have a different calibration. I'd half to call around and see if it would cause problems...

Mark