Strengthening Long Console Plastic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
For an on-going project, I need to install a RAM mount on the front of the long console (on the plastic face of the change tray, above the rubber pad). The RAM has four mounting holes. I planned on drilling the holes and attaching it. However, I need it to be strong, since it will support a GPS.

How can I strengthen the plastic of the console? I planned on using a cut steel plate OR some 1-inch steel washers on the rear side to spread out the stress points, and using a piece of non-slid rubber behind the RAM on the front of the console. However, I am wondering if this is enough.

If you're wondering what a RAM is, see: http://www.expressmounts.com/item-ram-mount-round-2.5''-dia-plate-with-1''-ball/ramb202.htm.

The mount will be similar to this, but will be mounted on the face of the change tray, not the base, and use a shorter mounting arm to keep it from obstructing the HVAC controls:

[Broken External Image]:

If you're wondering about the install choice, I want to be able to take it with me at times since I'm in Philadelphia often. No need to invite thieves to browse the five-finger store.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Washers would probably work...get fender washers, little hole in the middle, but large around in diameter.

What I would do though is go to Home Depot or Auto Zone and get some "Kitty Hair", fiberglass reinforced Bondo. Take some, mix it up, and slather some on the back side of the part that needs the strength. I'd make it at least 1/2" thick. It'll weigh the part down, but who cares? And use some washers...washers are your friend.

If you are using screws, rather than bolts, the simplest way is to glue a small block of wood on the undierside of the console where you plan on installing the mount. The would does not need to be a 2X4 or even 3/4" stock. a small piece of 1/4" plywood glued to the underside of the console would give plenty of support to excessive flexing, and would give the screws something to dig into.

...Rich

Tiger,

How does this "Kitty Hair" work? Do I just line the edges with, for example, balsa wood (in a square shape) and then slather it to 1/2-inch thickness and let it dry? This seems to be on the track that I am looking to take. I want to make sure I don't rip the ram right off the plastic, with the plastic, if I hit one of PA's infamous car-swallowing potholes.

Rich,

I'll be using bolts; most likely 1/8 diamater with Travis' washers (I knew I wanted something with a large surface area, but did not know they were called "fender washers." Learn something new everyday!) and bolts with the rubber tightening stuff built in (So what are these called?). Not to take away from Travis' suggestion, but I have some plywood here that could be a lot easier than mixing fiberglass.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :cool:

Adam,

All Kitty Hair mixes just like regular Bondo...spead some of the KH out and mix in the hardener, mix it throughly, spread on. it's no harder then mixing epoxy. or gluing uncooked macoroni onto a piece of paper.

Wood would work.

BTW, those nuts with the nylon insert are called "self-locking nuts".

or gluing uncooked macoroni onto a piece of paper

Don't believe a word my preschool teacher said. I could do it just fine.

I just circular-sawed the plywood. However, I don't think I have any 1-inch long 1/8-inch bolts. Looks like a run to Walmart is in order for later.